Was working fine until...

Started by
15 comments, last by daviangel 15 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by iceman90289
i couldnt download it off the book's cd so i downloaded the one from Jim Adam's Making RPG's with DirectX 9.0
That book is pretty old, and was aimed at an older compiler, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work.

Try getting the Most recent Platform SDK instead. Despite the name, it's for all development, not just 2003 Server.
Advertisement
okay. i am downloading it now. so after this is done i should take another crack at compiling that file?
okay. i am downloading it now. so after this is done i should take another crack at compiling that file?
Yup. You might need to update your Visual Studio paths first (Tools -> Options -> Projects and Solutions -> VC++ Directories, make sure your new platform SDK is at the top of the list, just under the DirectX SDK in the "Include" and "Lib" filter types).
cool my window shows up now... no complaints from anything. thanks. i guess i can do all the book examples now :)

and if i decide to go to that jim adams book i mentioned, would i be all set up now? or should i just leave that on my shelf?
cool my window shows up now... no complaints from anything. thanks. i guess i can do all the book examples now :)

and if i decide to go to that jim adams book i mentioned, would i be all set up now? or should i just leave that on my shelf?
"Maybe". It uses a pretty old DirectX SDK, and I don't think it'll compile straight out of the book. By all means use it for reference, but be aware that some of the function names and purposes have changed slightly (Mainly in the D3DX library).
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve

"Maybe". It uses a pretty old DirectX SDK, and I don't think it'll compile straight out of the book. By all means use it for reference, but be aware that some of the function names and purposes have changed slightly (Mainly in the D3DX library).

Yeah hopefully you have the 2nd edition of the book which uses DX9 which isn't as hard to fix as the older DX8 version of the book I have!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
im just trying to get the example from the book working. its kind of frustrating to hear the books code is wrong... i mean what did i pay 30 dollars for?

my goal here is to know what to change in the code so it wont have any errors.

You'll have to get used to it if you plan on coding for long since by the time the book gets printed there is a newer version of the SDK,etc. The better books post updated code and corrections or errata at their websites though so you should always check for that.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement