You know you're a crappy programmer when...

Started by
116 comments, last by Mantrid 15 years, 1 month ago
I was recently googling and found this blog. I don't know if this has been done, but it could potentially be a good source of laughter, shame and education. A lot of users here on GD should know the signs of a crappy programmer - most of us through exhibiting said crappiness ourselves at some point in time. So, you know you're a crappy programmer when...

Advertisement
You're a bad programmer if you don't know how to make your program do what you want.

This doesn't mean that bad programmers never write programs that work—but when they do, they don't know why they work.
Quote:Original post by ToohrVyk
This doesn't mean that bad programmers never write programs that work—but when they do, they don't know why they work.

amazing but fact.
I know some people whom make programs by doing something approximate based on tutorial and fiddling with it until it sort of works, for totally wrong reasons.
Such as some dude who was doing bump-mapping script for a game, just fiddling with values until he got it to sort of work, at one specific point on map, with one specific light direction, and declared success. Needless to say, the code was doing absolutely nothing right - shader was taken from tutorial, tangent space parameters were absent, some heavy grade outright weirdness done with vectors made it kind of look bumpy at that one specific point.

They don't get difference between what they did and actually programming.
You're an annoying coder when.....

You mix tabs and spaces everywhere in the source code.
you can't remember what Console.WriteLine(); does.
Quote:Original post by Lode
You're an annoying coder when.....

You mix tabs and spaces everywhere in the source code.

and when you don't know of auto-indent tool.[lol]

The comments are interesting, too. Much, ah.. diversity of opinion.
I love this line:
Quote:Users never remark "Wow, this software may be buggy and hard to use, but at least there is a lot of code underneath."

:D
If you know you're a crappy programmer, you're already a better programmer than most.
when you defend your single language of choice like it was a person.
when you are working on GIMP

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement