You know you're a crappy programmer when...

Started by
116 comments, last by Mantrid 15 years, 1 month ago
You know when you're a crappy programmer when your definition of crappy programmer doesn't match with everybody elses definition of a crappy programmer.

from the original link;

Quote:
# Your users are stupid. Really stupid.
You can't believe how stupid they are, they constantly forget how to do simplest things and often make dumb mistakes with your applications. You never consider maybe it's your application that’s stupid because you're incapable of writing decent software.

Like this; complained about this from time to time, but you've really got problems if they are *actually* stupid and nobody believes you because they think you're a crappy programmer... erm yes.
http://www.fotofill.co.uk
Advertisement
nothing wrong with writing crap as the immortal pete townshend once said
'if u stear away from quality youre alright'

+ now back on topic
whilst I do prefer photoshop, there are some things that Gimp does better eg scripts
Quote:Original post by Dmytry
** Irrelevant idiocy about something or another **

Well this thread is offically off the rails...

You've pretty much accused someone of pirating software. Which given the context of what we do here is a pretty serious claim. Furthermore you've essentially accused the majority of people who use photoshop to be a pirate. I find that particularly insulting. While I can't speak for Daaark, I can say that I wouldn't like being accused of something that I didn't do. How silly of me I know.

If he dislikes GIMP or its developers, then that's his perogative and it's yours to counter those claims. But you should at least have had the balls to counter his claims without using the cheap (and very weak) argument of piracy.

And just so some of you "get it" (cause some people here apparently don't), I have no opinion on GIMP itself, especially vs. Photoshop. I frankly don't care (I prefer paint.net - which is free and open source thank you very much). Use whatever gets you through the day. I just have an issue with blanket statements of piracy without proof. Especially if I paid a small fortune for whatever software I'm accused of pirating.
Quote:Original post by Tape_Worm
Well this thread is offically off the rails...

You've pretty much accused someone of pirating software.

Stop making truly retarded attempts to play advocate for someone else. I didn't say "hey you're pirate" to anyone here.

I did make it clear however that , matter of fact, I DO interpret his points as yet another damn "gimp vs pirated photoshop comparison". If that is not the case, he can very well tell it isn't and he has some other software in mind than photoshop (when telling how default mouse behavior is "broken" etc.)
In gimp vs photoshop rant, there is at least some appreciation for fact that photoshop is 699$ and is made by fulltime developers (over what, two decades+ now?) and gimp is free made in spare time with consequently a lot less man-years of development.
While in gimp vs pirated photoshop rant, there is none, and developers get called crappy for gimp's inferiority comparing to photoshop.
That is the difference.

If you insist on making a clear point that he is being accused of piracy and want to make me elaborate as on why i did suggest such possibility... then its you who are screaming that he is (accused of) piracy.
Quote:
Furthermore you've essentially accused the majority of people who use photoshop to be a pirate. I find that particularly insulting.

results of a poll : 60% of photographers polled did admit piracy.

Statistics from some game developers whom think that piracy is no big deal : 92% (that is for game, of course, but nonetheless)

Businesses don't pirate software at all, of course, so there is still a lot of units sold even with piracy.

I'm no policeman, and no judge, and this is no trial. This is just me making clear that I interpret his rant about gimp as comparison with (pirated)photoshop, by default, given that it is the most probable. Unless shown otherwise (edit: and you, unasked for advocate, getting into and blowing it out of proportions).
Quote:
If he dislikes GIMP or its developers, then that's his perogative and it's yours to counter those claims. But you should at least have had the balls to counter his claims without using the cheap (and very weak) argument of piracy.

Not reference was made to source code of the gimp or software architecture, so the claim [gimp programmers are crappy] is entirely empty.

edit: also. Funny how you have no problem with someone calling people not even present in this thread "crappy programmers", while having a lot of problems with me mildly accusing someone who is present here and could himself reply "no i'm not actually comparing gimp to photoshop, i have program XYZ in mind".

[Edited by - Dmytry on March 10, 2009 4:15:35 AM]
to stay on topic...

you're replying to this thread rather than work on some code.

(self reference too)
Quote:Original post by Cyber_Cactus
You are a crappy programmer when you write over 10,000 lines of code without adding any comments.

I plead guilty.
Dulce non decorum est.
"You're a crappy programmer when you can only do something if there is function for it" - taken from Andre LaMothe book, sans the crappy. But he was lambasting lame IT student.

Quote:(*) You think you've written a fully functioning engine by yourself. This was a strange phenomena I observed while at university...at least one or two people at any given time were writing an engine...which infact was just a wrapper for their favourtie graphics API. Typically the people who did this had never actually used an engine.

I don't think that makes you a crappy programmer, just a engine or systems programmer. The API's (I'll assume you mean OpenGL or Direct3D) need to be wrapped to add functionality they don't possess (3d formats for example) and to tie together various aspects of the engine into 1 usable whole. These people may go on to work on Unreal or CryEngine tech...
---Ninja : Art of Winning
Quote:Original post by Daaark
Sorry guys. Anyone working on GIMP should hang their head in shame. There are only 3 reasons to like GIMP

1) You only know how to make programmer art
2) You've never used a real paint program
3) You are an OSS zealot who argues with loyalty instead of common sense

Why doesn't right click draw with my background color instead of opening up a useless context menu? Why doesn't the mouse wheel zoom instead of a useless vertical scroll (when I can get that by clicking in the middle button anyways, and scroll in any direction). Why do I need a 35 step tutorial to make outlined text (after converting to raster), instead of just clicking the text button and making nice beveled, outlined, vector text? Why does the whole program close down immediately if I close one of the tool child windows to get it out of the way? Why are half the filter previews broken? They still haven't added CYMK color space, with the usual OSS excuse 'you don't need that anyways', making unsuitable for most work. The world doesn't run on RGB colorspace.

The whole project is a big steaming turd. You have to do so much work to get subpar results, if you can even get the results you want at all. It's very rare to find a program that manages to fail in every key area, making it totally useless for it's intended purpose, even after ten years of development.

So you know you are a crappy programmer when you work on GIMP.

You know about this http://www.gimpshop.com/, right? I'm not defending Gimp (nor Photoshop which I despise. This is what graphic artists hires are for) but there are other free alternatives too such as Graphics Gale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_raster_graphics_editors). Personally, I like Pro-Motion as I find it just lets me do what I need to without learning it's "mentality".
Quote:Original post by gambrinous
Enough with the GIMP religious debates!

.. you don't use version control software.

id apparently didn't use VC until Quake III... Do you think they're crappy programmers?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement