You know you're a crappy programmer when...

Started by
116 comments, last by Mantrid 15 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by zedz
nothing wrong with writing crap as the immortal pete townshend once said
'if u stear away from quality youre alright'

Was he trying to justify his music? ;)
---Ninja : Art of Winning
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Running_Wild
id apparently didn't use VC until Quake III... Do you think they're crappy programmers?
That a piece of software was released and happened to be good tells us no more about the quality of the programming than a car crash tells us about the driver being drunk.

I propose the creation of the Reductio Ad Carmackum fallacy, in the same vein as the Reductio ad Hitlerum fallacy, whereby a bad industry practice will automatically be considered to be undoubtedly good if it has been espoused by id software (and, similarly, by any other video game developer known for the quality of their games, as opposed to the quality of their programming).

while(bBadProgammer){if(bBadProgrammer = true)    TryHarder();else    bBadProgrammer = false;}

As testified by the code; no matter how hard you try you will always be a bad programmer. :)
Innovation not reiterationIf at any point I look as if I know what I'm doing don't worry it was probably an accident.
Quote:Original post by Guthur
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

As testified by the code; no matter how hard you try you will always be a bad programmer. :)

if(bBadProgrammer = true)
is always true. (is that the point of joke?)
Dmytry: Aye it is :), sorry my first joke in code so its not that good :p, the else actually has no relevance either due to the loop never executing if bBadProgrammer did equal false, that embarassingly was an unintentional addition to the lunacy
Innovation not reiterationIf at any point I look as if I know what I'm doing don't worry it was probably an accident.
When you ignore the human element of your programs. If your program is needlessly complex, has a broken or outdated UI, or makes the user think in terms of the machines needs, not the tasks they want you want to perform, you're a crappy programmer; even if it 'works'.

Quote:Original post by Delphinus
Quote:Original post by Cyber_Cactus
You are a crappy programmer when you write over 10,000 lines of code without adding any comments.

I plead guilty.

On Comments I still believe they are a poor metric for measuring code quality. I would go so far as to say irrelevant.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
void Crappy(Person *Programmer){  while(Programmer->IsCrappyProgrammer())  {    Programmer->Slap();  }}void Programmer :: Slap(){  MentalHP--;  if(TestForBrokenMind())  {      NerdRage;  }}

Programming is dangerous to the brain...
Dulce non decorum est.
You know you're a crappy programmer when you make "code jokes" that contain fanciful variable flag checks with no real function.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
Quote:Original post by M2tM
You know you're a crappy programmer when you make "code jokes" that contain fanciful variable flag checks with no real function.

As opposed to code jokes that have a real function, maybe something like:

User: This pile of shite corrupted my OS installation.
Coder; *sniggering* Ya that was just our wee funny, great isn't it.

Now if they meant for this to happen it might be funny in a sick sort of way, but unfortuately I think it may have been a complete accident and that is not funny at all :( computer says no.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement