Weapons...which and how?

Started by
4 comments, last by LorenzoGatti 14 years, 3 months ago
I'm currently working on a 2D side scrolling action/adventure game.. I've got my Level Editor and character editor done and can move around my world.. but I'm in sort of a dilemma now and don't wish to continue untill it's solved for obvious reasons.. but programming and art aren't an issue.. I'm figuring those out while I go along Here's some background info: the game is set in feudal/fantasy-style Japan where monsters and demons roam free.. you are a guy who's set out on revenge and wants to kill as many baddies as he can.. eventually descending into hell and going toe to toe with death (or some other awesome baddie). The game will focus on combos and use of weapons.. but I can't figure out what weapons to use or how to map them(I'm going to use the playstation pad as a reference.. He definately has to have a Katana or Ninjato as a primary weapon.. but what would be better: - have both a weak or strong attack (like f.e. triangle and square, x would be jump en circle would then be grab) (God of War style gameplay) - have triangle and square assigned to a melee and ranged weapon.. (Devil May Cry style gameplay) I'm just not to fond of using a gun in a fantasy setting.. and I'm kind of afraid it would look to much like a DMC clone, and everyone will keep reminding me of it.. so long story short: any ideas on what kind of weapons I could use (I would use 4, so I can use the 4 buttons on the D-pad to change weapons)?
Advertisement
Don't forget shuriken. And you might consider adding hand-to-hand attacks. In addition to strikes, a well timed judo-style throw could be very effective.
Quote:Original post by EyeScream
I'm currently working on a 2D side scrolling action/adventure game.. I've got my Level Editor and character editor done and can move around my world..

but I'm in sort of a dilemma now and don't wish to continue untill it's solved for obvious reasons.. but programming and art aren't an issue.. I'm figuring those out while I go along

Here's some background info:
the game is set in feudal/fantasy-style Japan where monsters and demons roam free.. you are a guy who's set out on revenge and wants to kill as many baddies as he can.. eventually descending into hell and going toe to toe with death (or some other awesome baddie). The game will focus on combos and use of weapons.. but I can't figure out what weapons to use or how to map them(I'm going to use the playstation pad as a reference.. He definately has to have a Katana or Ninjato as a primary weapon.. but what would be better:

- have both a weak or strong attack (like f.e. triangle and square, x would be jump en circle would then be grab) (God of War style gameplay)
- have triangle and square assigned to a melee and ranged weapon.. (Devil May Cry style gameplay) I'm just not to fond of using a gun in a fantasy setting.. and I'm kind of afraid it would look to much like a DMC clone, and everyone will keep reminding me of it..

so long story short: any ideas on what kind of weapons I could use (I would use 4, so I can use the 4 buttons on the D-pad to change weapons)?

Maybe a multi shot cross bow?
cout << "hi!n";
Well, you could always put a musket in there, those certainly are a long way from guns the way we're used to them. There's always bows and arrows (or even a gun that shoots arrows, which actually existed).

If you have real creative block, try going the opposite direction and think about what enemies you want and what would be the most fun way to defeat them, which will give you your attacks.

If your game is for PC using the keyboard, I'd also stop thinking about it in terms of game controllers, try making up your control scheme. It might be easier to come up with something that fits a keyboard rather than shoehorning in a dynamic that works well with a thumbpad. Just my thoughts

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

the game is written in C#/XNA so I could use it for both xbox360 or PC.. guess I stuck with the Pad 'cause, well I usually suck at playing with the keyboard and almost always grap my gamepad.. and when/if I get my Xbox I would be easier to program it for it's controls..

I thought about using a "lightbow".. a bow that doesn't use physical arrows but instead shoots lightning or something like that.. but again, already been done by Kratos :(

shurikens and rifle are a good ideas to.. I'll have to check into them.. also thought about shooting fireballs from his hand using some type of glove/armor.. but I'm worried it would look weak if he just stands there with his hand in front of him.. (like a Super Nintendo game :s) and to slow if he has a whole Kamehameha-animation..

I'm gonna stop programming now for a while and go watch tons of footage from games/movies/animes/.. and get more concepting done (should have done that in the first place..)
If you use a 360 gamepad, you can move your character with one or both analog sticks and cycle weapons with the shoulder button, the digital D-pad, the two little arrow buttons in the middle, and access inventory from a popup menu.
The important ABXY and trigger buttons should be used for common actions, like different attacks with the same weapons, not for switching weapons. It is the usual convention for a good reason.
Quote:
what would be better:
- have both a weak or strong attack (like f.e. triangle and square, x would be jump en circle would then be grab) (God of War style gameplay)
- have triangle and square assigned to a melee and ranged weapon..

Both, buttons aren't so scarce: you can assign one of the four main buttons to fast melee attacks, one to slow melee attacks, one to ranged attacks, one to jumping or other special actions or to special attacks; then the appropriate attack is performed according to the weapons in use (which are switched with other buttons).

Reasonably realistic weapon combinations could include:
- one sword only (with powerful two-handed melee attacks but no ranged attack)
- sword and jitte (with a special disarming attack but no ranged attack)
- two swords (with some special double melee attack; throw the smallest one as a ranged attack)
- sword with shuriken, throwing knives etc. in the other hand (basic sword melee attack, throw the small blade then unsheath another automatically as a ranged attack)
- shuriken, throwing knives etc. only (much faster ROF with two hands, but only kicks, fists and mediocre slashes as melee attacks)
- longbow (strictly two-handed; melee attacks can be point-blank shots or different sorts of kicks)
- naginata (strictly two-handed; melee only with long reach)
- staff (with powerful two-handed melee attacks but no ranged attack; likely a mediocre weapon)

Of course, since this basic list already includes more weapons than a sane person would carry into battle, you should start from something basic (e.g. sword + shuriken to cover ranged and melee combat adequately without complex animations and graphics) and figure out which other options are more useful after you have a prototype.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement