Best way of using pointer to object in list

Started by
3 comments, last by XTAL256 14 years, 1 month ago
A few times in my project, i have wanted to store objects in a list (Qt's QList in this case, but it could be std::vector or any collection object) where i am storing the actual object and not a pointer to an object created on the heap. In other words:

//This:
List<Object> something;

//Instead of this:
List<Object*> something;

Now, in the past i have usually stored pointers to objects because the objects themselves are owned by another object, and the list is used to keep track of all these objects. So when i wanted to add an object to the list then call some methods on that object i would do:

List<Object*> theList;
Object* obj = new Object();
theList.add(obj);
obj->initializeOrSomething();
giveObjectToSomething(obj);    // Note: this function takes a pointer

But i have realised that in a lot of cases you want the list to contain the actual objects as that list is responsible for adding/removing/maintaining those objects. So when i want to do the above, i am not sure what the best way is:

List<Object> theList
theList.add(Object());
theList.last().initializeOrSomething();
giveObjectToSomething(&theList.last());

In other words, i don't know an easy way to obtain a reference to the object which i have just created. I was thinking i could create it and add it like this:

List<Object> theList
Object obj;
theList.add(obj);
obj.initializeOrSomething();
giveObjectToSomething(&obj);

But wouldn't that copy the object?
[Window Detective] - Windows UI spy utility for programmers
Advertisement
Not sure what language/library that List class is from with it's .add() function, but in C++ with std::list - it's as simple as this -

void MessWithInt(int* pInt)		{			*pInt *= 2;		}		void MessWithInt(int& refInt)		{			refInt *= 2;		}		int TestListPtrRefStuff	()		{			std::list<int> intList;			intList.push_back(5);			//Pointer			int* pBack = &intList.back();			MessWithInt(pBack);			//Reference, if you prefer			int& refBack = intList.back();			MessWithInt(refBack);			int shouldBe20 = intList.back();						return shouldBe20;		}

That does, in fact, return 20 over here. hope that helps
Quote:Original post by XTAL256
But wouldn't that copy the object?
Yes. That shouldn't be a problem though...
std::list<Object> theList;...theList.push_back(Object(constructor, arguments, go, here));giveObjectToSomething(&theList.back());
It's the constructor's job for initialising an object, not some other initialisation routine. You'd need a damn good reason to do otherwise.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
Quote:In other words, i don't know an easy way to obtain a reference to the object which i have just created.

insert returns an iterator:

std::list<Object> theList;std::list<Object>::iterator obj = theList.insert(theList.end(), Object());obj->initializeOrSomething();giveObjectToSomething(&*obj);
@TyphoidHippo: That List class i used was just an example (i.e pseudo-code), it is not from any library. Besides, the code you provided is just using a primitive data type whereas i was talking about using a list of objects. And the way you access it (intList.back()) is exactly the way i said.

@iMalc: Yeah, i guess it's no problem to just copy the object, but it is unnecessary copying. And i know the constructor should initialize the object, it was a pretty poor example really. But the fact remains that i need to do something to the object.

@Ftn: That's a good idea, except that i am not using std::list, i am using QList (and i did mention that in my initial post).

So far, the best alternative is to create the object locally on the stack and copy it to the list. Since speed is not that important in most of my cases, i could do this if there is no better way.
[Window Detective] - Windows UI spy utility for programmers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement