Let's talk fighting games!

Started by
19 comments, last by Stroppy Katamari 14 years ago
Hey gang. So ever since I was young, I have always been mesmerized by fighting games. Specifically the traditional 1 vs 1 kind, where the camera would follow both on-screen characters (if that makes sense). In other words, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Virtua Fighter, etc. I guess you would call them side-scrollers?? You know, the arcade games that were big in the 90's. I'm 26 now and have wanted to make a fighting game, for as long as I can remember. I think a lot of it had to do with the first MK's impact on me. Where it's photo-realistic visuals and "violence" was not widely seen in a game, for it's time. Although that series has gone downhill for me, I always thought the concept of the first game, to be sort of the direction I want to take my project in. Which would be a game with a dark tone, an oriental type theme, real martial arts styles and violence as real as you can get, without hindering the fun of having several rounds of fighting. I didn't want to make my post too long-winded but I did want to let you guys know where I'm coming from. So with that said, I was curious if any of you have ever wanted to make a fighting game? If so, it would great to hear some more ideas. Go into much detail as you desire. Whether it be on character or environmental designs, mood, gameplay mechanics, fighting styles, setting or whatever, post away! Also, this discussion isn't limited to the 1 vs 1 fighters but can broaden out to something like Smash Bros., or something one might consider general fighting territory.
Advertisement
Mortal Kombat was never going to last. There was no depth to the game, and all the characters played the exact same other than their special moves. It was a shallow and full of worthless gimmicks. By the time MK3 came out, there was nothing left to do.

[Edited by - Daaark on April 3, 2010 10:33:48 AM]
Without wishing to hijack this thread, there was a game I played a long time ago (released for the PSX) that was a fairly realistic 2 person fighting game based on various fighting styles set in feudal japan (or china, one of the two). I believe square released it actually. Anyways, what was neat about that game was the realism that one good hit could kill you (or injure you greatly). In fact the final "boss" could pull out a gun and that spelled instant death (never could get past that part).

The reason I bring that up is it would be nice to see a fighting game with more emphasis on that sort of realism. Where dodging the blow or using your environment to your advantage is much more important then pulling off a chained combat move. The game I am speaking of took it a bit TOO far in my mind, but some of the concepts it used were particularly fascinating. I remember me and my younger brother playing that over and over. It really changes the "mood" of the game and keeps you on the edge of your seat. I am not sure that this could be easily replicated in 2d however.

Just something to think about.
You mean Bushido Blade?

Virtua Fighter tends to stick to realism. No one throws fire balls or anything, just straight Martial Arts.
I'm not a huge fighting game fan but I've always had a soft spot for Tekken. I've always wanted to see a fighting game mixed with a highly detailed sidescroller, sort of like a Tekken meets Strider or Double Dragon. The game could have a fairly involved story that's explored by taking different paths through the level and I think the mix of weak enemies and intricate boss fights would be interesting as well as the ability to retreat from a battle (aka lose a match) and try a different paths.
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Quote:Original post by Wavinator
I'm not a huge fighting game fan but I've always had a soft spot for Tekken. I've always wanted to see a fighting game mixed with a highly detailed sidescroller, sort of like a Tekken meets Strider or Double Dragon. The game could have a fairly involved story that's explored by taking different paths through the level and I think the mix of weak enemies and intricate boss fights would be interesting as well as the ability to retreat from a battle (aka lose a match) and try a different paths.
Tekken 5 and 6 actually have modes like this.

There is a whole game based somewhat on that concept called
>Urban Reign. You basically pick one or more fighters, and have a big fight one level after the other. The levels are open ended and have destructible elements, and there can be one boss, or or a whole gang to fight through. 2 characters from Tekken are even unlockable.

<-- fight in a bar
Quote:Original post by Daaark
Mortal Kombat was never going to last. There was no depth to the game, and all the characters played the exact same other than their special moves. It was a shallow and full of worthless gimmicks. By the time MK3 came out, there was nothing left to do.
I hear that. The thing is, I feel when you're younger (I was about 10 when the first one came out) you're not as critical or judgmental about a games' design and all it's details. At least, I wasn't. Plus the fact, that there wasn't a game with those visuals and content for the time. Now that I'm older though, I am more selective and do see the nuances in games. Looking back I'm not impressed with any MK. Considering all of them did have shallow and broken gameplay and characters ripped off movies. Actually though, I didn't know how shallow or broken their games were until a couple years back. Where users on a fan forum, pointed out how flawed even their most recent title was at the time.

But what do you mean when you say, MK was never going to last? Because they are coming out with another one, so they must be doing something "right" with the masses. Call it on the part of nostalgia I suppose, which every iteration of the series is based off of. Honestly, I don't know how such shoddy developers got hired to make such a lackluster series. Alright, I'm done ranting :)

Quote:Original post by WavinatorI'm not a huge fighting game fan but I've always had a soft spot for Tekken
Even though I don't know you personally, I do wonder as to why people don't like a certain genre of games. Even though you said you like Tekken, and I'm under the correct impression that you're not really into fighters, then I would actually like to know why that is. The reason I like the fighting game genre (not necessarily even the games that it's recognized for) is because the games feel to the point. I mean this on an emotional level (you know like, start attacking immediately), because I know these types of games, aren't really meant for the inexperienced. Unless you turn the difficulty level down. Other than that, I guess I also like the genre because I enjoy martial arts too.

Anyways, I thought there would be more people in here, that would want to create a fighting game of their own and not just see a certain idea made. Although, there's nothing wrong with that :) But surely, I can't be the only one???
If I were to make a fighting game it would be control that were easy to handle and you didn't have to reserve one-third of your brain to memorize the countless array of button combinations for one character.

For instance Bushido Blade had a nice fighting mechanic. Simple, intuitive, and very easy to understand. Street Fighter (2, 3, 4) had simpler, IMO, button combos for moves and special moves than say Tekken, Virtua Fighter, or even Soul Calibur. The parry move from SF3 was easy. The counter move from DOA was easy. ;

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
If I were to make a fighting game it would be control that were easy to handle and you didn't have to reserve one-third of your brain to memorize the countless array of button combinations for one character.
Couldn't agree more. Today I was playing Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution and you have to think quickly in order to beat the enemy AI. I mean, it's obvious the devs tried to map button inputs, in accordance with how a characters actions are performed. But with so many moves at your disposal and each with their own properties, I can see how more brain activity is necessary when playing a match. Combo strings can also be a challenge in VF. It just all depends on many variables.

Quote:For instance Bushido Blade had a nice fighting mechanic. Simple, intuitive, and very easy to understand. Street Fighter (2, 3, 4) had simpler, IMO, button combos for moves and special moves than say Tekken, Virtua Fighter, or even Soul Calibur. The parry move from SF3 was easy. The counter move from DOA was easy. ;
Would you mind giving me a simple rundown of how Bushido Blade worked? I've never played it. And I keep hearing about DOA's counter but don't know what that entails either.

I've also recently thought about a fighting game with a post-apocalyptic setting. I don't think I've ever seen this done.
Quote:Original post by Swordmaster
But what do you mean when you say, MK was never going to last?
Because of the design flaws that meant the series wasn't fit to sit at the same table as the real fighting games of the time, and because they kept designing themselves into a corner.

They ran out of gas after MK2 because there was nothing left to do. They kept designing themselves into a corner, and having to find a way to top it in the next game. That meant they had to keep retconing the story, and every new character had to be 10x as "cool", and dangerous as the last.

As far as the success of the game. Midway went bankrupt.

When I was a kid I loved MK and knew everything about it. But most of my friends ignored MK3. And even though I stayed loyal to the series, I knew it was going downhill from there, and dropped it altogether when MK4 came out.

There is talk about rebooting the series. If that happens, I hope the story and the design are handled more responsibly. It's hard to have an MK2 when everyone from MK1 other than the winner is supposed to be dead, and the tournament is only supposed to happen every thousand years.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement