What 2 countries at war could potentially lead to a WW3?

Started by
56 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 13 years, 5 months ago
China is an island logistically and economically. It is surrounded by inconvenient mountains with water on the last side. When the west refers to china we also "normally" refer to the coast and 50 miles inland, which is actually a source of conflict in china itself since the riches china earns rarely leaves the coast(with two revolutions based on conflicts between rural and booming china).

China will not willingly enter into any major conflict for the above reasons.

Personally I think the next major source of conflict will be the west(mainly Europe) bickering over African resources. As these countries have traditionally seen the continent as a "mine". China also stands a good chance of being part of that conflict due to it's economic explorations into Africa, the US due to it's vested interests in the middle east(with Israel tossed in for kicks).
Advertisement
You're absolutely right. My point was: You marching into China == big war; :) Of course, probably not another WWI or WWII, but a far cry from these "World Police" missions of the 21st century. It doesn't take a war with another super power to result in a conflict in which hundreds or thousands are lost; as Vietnam reflects.
Quote:Original post by keinmann
It was a similar situation which ousted the mighty Soviets from Afghanistan, in what is often called "Russia's Vietnam".

I'm afraid that "American "Russia's Vientam"" will be soon...
I don't what it.Honestly.
Quote:
Like (the psychopathic, but brutally pragmatic) Stalin said, "The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions is a statistic.".

Yea,they are pragmatics,I'd like to name them all "humanoids"
"We must support Soviet Russia [economically] in their struggle against Nazi Germany.And let they kill each other as long as it possible" (c) Winston Churchill
Quote:Original post by Talroth
Quote:Original post by Krokhin
Quote:
Going to war over water is equally foolish. Look at the planet 'Earth',... most of it is water. Most of it isn't fit to drink, but it is due to what else is IN the water. Extracting the containments isn't an easy task, but neither is shipping vast amounts of water.

And where you are going to get enough energy?

Where are you going to get enough energy to build the transportation network to move the vast amounts of water and keep it running? Water is heavy, a metric tonne per cubic metre. Moving it huge distances isn't as easy as some would have it.

You're right.Even today we haven't enough energy to distillate sea water for drinking "in place" and not enough energy to transport it too far.
Thats why clear water is a very big problem.

Quote:
People want it, therefore other people go out to get it. I can't recall the last time I said to myself "Damn, I could really use a bit of lutetium orthosilicate!", and I would assume there aren't a whole lot of producers of it. If you are the only person making something, and someone wants that for something else,... Well you get to name your price, and either they bite and buy, you drop your price and try again, or you get to keep your shiny object to yourself.

I see.
Anyway,let's suppose that you want to make somewhat himself and only himself. If you want to keep monopoly and kill all your competitors,the right way will be to do it ,despite of possiple losses.

We'll I would disagree we have plenty of energy, or access too it. A solar concentrating plant the size of LA could provide enough energy for the entire country, but ofcourse it will probably cost several trillion dollars to build. It's not that we don't have the technology, it's that we don't have the economic will.

Enormous amounts of solar energy falls on earth each day, we've only directly tapped less than 1% of 1%. It's artificial scarcity, but what'ever makes the economic wheels go around i guess.. Like how diamonds are one of the the most abundant minerals on earth yes also the most expensive..

They are building 1000+ MW solar concentrating plants in Arizona capable of powering 2 million homes each, it doesn't take very many of those to desalinate millions of gallons of sea water for the west coast, 10-20 could probably desalinate enough for the entire west coast..

-ddn
War sucks, let's just skip it this time. Have the leaders settle their disputes IN A STEEL CAGE.
Quote:Original post by ddn3
We'll I would disagree we have plenty of energy, or access too it. A solar concentrating plant the size of LA could provide enough energy for the entire country,
LA must be great to live in. Cloudless sun, 24 hours a day.

Quote:They are building 1000+ MW solar concentrating plants in Arizona capable

Not quite. A total of 1000MW systems combined. And it's an initiative across 7 or so states. This combines everything from domestic use to dedicated plants.

Again - Arizona must be a really cool place to live. 24 hours of sun a day, every day in the year.

Quote:of powering 2 million homes each
Domestic power consumptions is 20% of total. The remaining 80% goes to industry.

And it's even more complex, industrial use has completely different demand patterns for which solar power doesn't even remotely deliver, not as anything remotely capable of replacing existing use.

Power generation is physics first. And there are some very annoying properties which are being left out of the current green media push. They also ignore issues of uneven supply or the fact that electrical power at country-level cannot be stored.
We'll i'm not going to get into a long discussion about solar power, suffice it to say all of those ciritisim can be overcome, there is nothing stopping us from developing long term energy storage systems for storing solar power generated during the day, nor do we have to place all our solar plants in one location vs stringing them out along the country.. I gave LA only as an example of the size it would take (400 sq miles), not a probably location ..

Reality is all our energy indirectly or directly comes from solar, the oil is fossilized solar fuel from carbon life.. whether we pump it from the ground or go directly too the source, the choice is ours..

-ddn
Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and China.

For the effect of WW3, the aftermath, and consequences, please reference StarOcean for the PS3.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement