A beginner confused which language to learn

Started by
3 comments, last by JoeCooper 13 years, 5 months ago
I'm interested in game development and it's one of the main reasons I want to learn a programing language. I am a total beginner starting at the bottom of the learning curve, and want to learn more about computers and the necessarry things. I don't care how long it takes or have any time limits, I just want to get started. Can anyone direct me from here? Thanks a lot.
Advertisement
C# or Python are the best for a beginner in my opinion. They are reasonably nice and beginner friendly, while not being beginner languages (both are used for developing real applications). Both provide reasonably nice libraries for game developement (XNA for C#, PyGame for Python). But stick to learning the language first, you'll get frustrated if you try to dive into such a library too quickly without a solid understanding of the basics.

There is no perfect language however, they all have their trade offs. Just pick one and go for it.
It doesn't matter which language you choose, as long as you pick one and get started using it.

I agree with the above suggestion of C# or Python; of the two I would personally lean towards C# (with XNA once you've learned a bit more) as a good choice for a beginner.

- Jason Astle-Adams

C++ has traditionally been the "serious" game programmer's language, and ultimately you will want to learn it. However, it is not an easy language to start with.

Java is quite a straightforward language to learn, which is a good stepping stone to eventually learning C++, since the syntax is similar. Also, if you want to code mobile phone games (especially Android OS), java is a must-have.

Python is also worth learning, firstly because it is quite simple, but also because it is often used alongside more serious languages for scripting high-level behaviour, so is a useful skill to learn. In-particular I think Python is a good language to start with because of Panda3D, which is a SDK (Software Development Kit) that allows people to code commercial level games in Python.
Dave.
I'm a Java programmer. The standard library leaves a bit to be desired if you'll want to do any graphics or anything. C# has more features, which I don't normally value, but in this case, it'll introduce you to a lot of concepts. Go C#.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement