Pursuing a M.S. degree on game development?

Started by
2 comments, last by NickGomes 13 years, 4 months ago
Hi,everyone

I am a game development fan from China. I got my software engineering bachelor degree in Shanghai. Now I am pursuing a M.S. degree on game development.
---
I worked in a game outsource company in Shanghai for 1 year and I realized that what I learned in the 4-years undergraduate study is not enough for the work. I want to learn more about the graphics, game AI, rendering and so on. That's why I want to go to a graduate school on game development in U.S.

I think I am really a special case because most of my friends who want to study abroad will not choose such a specialization. But I love it.
---

That's my basic situation.
So, do you guys have any ideas/advice for me? I am very appreciated of that.
---
By the way, the schools I collected until now are: digipen, guildhall@smu, usc, etc@cmu, gamedev@depaul, Interactive Games and Media Department @RIT.
If you have attended one of those schools, I hope you can talk about its programs.
---
Last thing, thank you for reading this post!

[Edited by - evisd on December 8, 2010 9:24:34 AM]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by evisd
1. I think I am really a special case
2. because most of my friends who want to study abroad will not choose such a specialization. But I love it.
3. That's my basic situation.
So, do you guys have any ideas/advice for me?

1. You are not.
2. You didn't say you wanted to specialize in art. Is that what you're saying now? You want to switch from programming to art?
3. If you want to do it, you should do it. There is a need for art techs and technical artists. Just follow your passions, dude!
Niihau, BTW.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thank you Tom and NiHau!

In fact I focus on game programing but not art fields.
I am preparing the materials for the applications now.

Thanks for your encouragement!
I think what he's saying is that he got a B.S. in Software Engineering but because of his experience working at a game outsourcing company he feels that his degree did not teach him enough.

I would say that any additional education would definitely be helpful. However, I would also suggest getting more work experience. I think the most productive thing to do is to pursue your M.S. while working at a company that relates to games. However, I don't know your situation so you need to weigh the options and make a decision based on your scenario.

Generally speaking though:
Any additional education can't hurt and will only make you better. So go for it!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement