What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Started by
486 comments, last by GameDev.net 13 years ago

Could we go back to 25 posts per page? Or is there a setting somewhere?

In your profile drop-down, select "My Settings" and then select the "Forum" tab to see the drop-downs for post and topic numbers visible per page

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Advertisement

Could we go back to 25 posts per page? Or is there a setting somewhere?

In your "user settings / forums", you can change the values of "posts/topics" per page.
Yes, sorry, I missed that.

Muhahahaha, you can't rate me down for that!!!!11
One thing I've started to discover about the new site is how well it aids the stalker in you.

I can seeeeee you. Heh

In your "user settings / forums", you can change the values of "posts/topics" per page.

I have to remember that you can send people straight to these locations with the generic URL that doesn't care what member ID your are or anything. I like this ability.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Spoofing the HTC's user agent in Firefox, 12.45 kB for the home page (that's only the HTML of course).
For some reason the software isn't detecting the use of my old iPhone 3G and loads the normal view. :(

You may want to try the IPS iPhone app. I don't use an iPhone myself so I don't know how it works, but it could help.

It would be extremely difficult to modify the multi-quote behavior...

Figured I might as well spell out what would need to be done here - when you reply to comments in journal posts (for example) you can hit the "Reply" link for multiple comments and it loads the quotes all up in your Reply Box at the bottom. So yes, perhaps we can combine the "Reply" and "MultiQuote" buttons on the forum into one. We remove the "MultiQuote" and change "Reply" to "Quote" and when you select "Quote" it loads the quote into the Fast Reply box rather than jumping to a Full Editor page. You should be able to load up multiple quotes into the Fast Reply box across pages. If you click "Add Reply" or "Use Full Editor" the Full Editor opens with all the quotes you have already selected.

Again I'm pretty sure, however, that this is a change we would have to request be made in the IP.Board software itself rather than something we can do.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I love it. It looks like more web 2.0 style
I just realised that old threads with HTML were brought across verbatim. That's awesome for not breaking anything in existing content.

So to be clear, taking time time to tell a user they're being offensive has no effect, but an anonymous down-rating does, when they can't even see what thread it was attached to? That says more about the community than the need for a rating system.

Regardless of what it says about the community, offensive users quite often realize they're being offensive. Individual posters pointing out even the obvious are easily ignored as "hypersensitive" or in need of thicker skin. Sometimes, they even have a point! But ratings shifted that from the easily dismissed individual to a summary of the community as a whole that happened to noticed their presence.

If you want a system where people simply ask questions, and answers given can be voted up/down by the community, that's called Stack Exchange. GD is more about discussion, not right/wrong answers, and should not try to encroach on SE... all these sites work best with big communities so let GD be the titan of discussions and SE the titan of community-voted question answering.
If you're saying we shouldn't sort thread discussions by post rating then great, I'm with you. "Stack Exchange does it therefore don't do it!" isn't a terribly convincing argument though. A lot of the discussions in the technical forum would do just fine on stack overflow -- that we take a more general and discussion oriented focus is no reason to avoid improving our tools, even if those tools aren't terribly useful in each and every single thread. On top of that, we're already getting half the toolset in rating posts up.

But **** it, seems clear we're trying it anyways, and I'm not pointing out anything that hasn't been already pointed out ad nauseam in detail.

EDIT: An obscenity rewriter? Really? No, no, this won't do -- even staring it out is better than 'fark'.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement