What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Started by
486 comments, last by GameDev.net 13 years ago
Just in case you haven't seen it yet, new journal update regarding site development. Highly recommend everyone read to be up to date with all that's going on.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Advertisement
Journals should post by publish time, not draft-saved time, methinks. Otherwise newly published posts get buried. Unless I'm misunderstanding the system. It's not so bad, though, since there's always cut-n-paste.

Journals should post by publish time, not draft-saved time, methinks. Otherwise newly published posts get buried. Unless I'm misunderstanding the system. It's not so bad, though, since there's always cut-n-paste.

Actually most people haven't realized yet that you can change the post time of your journal entry similar to other blogs like Wordpress. When you edit, click on the "Publish Immediately (Change)" link to set a new date and time. So yes, you can schedule posts.

But yea, the draft time posting issue has been noted in our Suggestions area of the Issues Tracker. I agree it would make sense to set the date/time to when the entry is actually published

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

well i dont care for it much. the old layout was straight and to the point. this site hurts my eyes. its like there is no focus area. it feels like crap stuck everywhere. i dont see what the issue was of the old layout other then it wasnt GDs. maybe it will grow on me but i doubt it.
Leaving the old site had nothing to do with layout and everything to do with technology. We were still using custom tech that was built for when the site first launched back in 1999. All we had done the 11 years since is visual restyles and adding a few new features atop the existing code. We were being backed into a corner each successive year in terms of what we could accomplish as a company as the rest of the industry changed and evolved around us.

Now we're on a platform that evolves without us having to be directly involved and putting in the man hours to make it happen, and can focus instead on expanding this site.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

clipboardl.png

Also about 10-15 upvotes since the site went back live on the new system.

You're saying you got that after 10-15 upvotes??

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I absolutely love the new layout and the new features. I think it's really modernized the site, and it feels like a much more rich experience than before.

Great work!
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
Well it's certainly different. ;)

It looks pretty clean from what I've seen in my brief spin around the new site. My biggest gripe - and this is actually pretty major - is that I'm finding it significantly harder to read the actual content of the threads. It might be due to a combination of the new choice of font with the spacing. I haven't yet found if there are any alternative stylesheets or font choices that could fix this - if so that would help alleviate the only major issue I have so far.

(Apologies if this has already been mentioned ad nauseam earlier in the thread - I haven't read much of it.)

'MaulingMonkey' said:

You're saying you got that after 10-15 upvotes??

Aye. At least this one eventually cleared itself (I've been able to upvote posts since then.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement