What Does Everyone Think About The New Site Layout?

Started by
486 comments, last by GameDev.net 13 years ago
ERROR

see my last reply here
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/593451-classical-music-makes-me-eerily-productive/

I inserted 5 links to youtube files (just copied the links, not inserted as media) + I get the message, trying to addd to much media files (or something)
I had to stick (quote)(/quote) around that part of the post for it to work
Advertisement

My biggest gripe - and this is actually pretty major - is that I'm finding it significantly harder to read the actual content of the threads. It might be due to a combination of the new choice of font with the spacing.

Yea this has been a big gripe. I personally can't understand it, so it's been pretty hard for me to help fix. But Kevin Hawkins has been messing around the most with the site stylesheets so I would suggest dropping him a PM to talk about it in depth.

@zedz - file an issue on this. Here is more about general discussion.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I like the new tech. but i feel a bit disoriented. It does seem almost social-network-ish...

The biggest problem I see is the fact that the IOTD is still not working. That's one of the primary things that keeps me coming back to the site; I love checking out people's screenshots.

holy crap there's a twitter button in my formatting options...
This looks fierce fancy all together.

Will have to start leaving the lounge open in work, in the name of drastically reduced work ethics everywhere.

How do I delete a post? I can't see an option when editing my post.

I was wondering this also. Is there a 'delete' option? It might be right in front of me, but I can't seem to find it anywhere (and I didn't find any mention of it in the thread aside from the above post).

'd000hg' said:

How do I delete a post? I can't see an option when editing my post.

I was wondering this also. Is there a 'delete' option? It might be right in front of me, but I can't seem to find it anywhere (and I didn't find any mention of it in the thread aside from the above post).

Could you delete posts on the old forums? Currently, looking at the permissions settings, members can't delete their own posts or topics. I think we had this disabled on the old boards too after a while when people started removing threads that they felt weren't relevant to them anymore (cleaning up bad history) but actually were to many other people. So not sure if these are default IPS settings I'm looking at or not.

Oh yes, IOTD. We Epic Failed on that huh? Seriously - none of us knew it was this popular I swear or we would have put more thought into it for the transition. Currently we're looking at post-GDC for two reasons - 1) the new Gallery software, which is a complete overhaul, isn't out yet from IPS though their CEO has actually told us within the next "few weeks" and 2) there's just so much we have to get ready in time for GDC that is taking priority.

However due to the mass of IOTD requests, if the new Gallery software does come out prior to GDC we will try our hardest to get that in place and active before GDC if possible.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Could you delete posts on the old forums?

I think so, but, things change :) (I just asked because I accidentally posted a reply to the wrong thread and was trying to delete it.)
Regarding the "flashy" new stuff:

Is it known that the menu on top is annoyingly borked? Meaning the menu only popups on a click and then directly closes animated. Means I have to click on "Forums" fast before the dang thing is gone again.
Also, I f***ing hate animated gimmick crappery like the image preview script. Why the f* does it have to be animated and make me wait to see the picture? Are computers too fast today?

Other than that things work and look pretty nice. The vertical space problem seems to be properly cleaned up. Keep up the good work!

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

'Gaiiden' said:

Could you delete posts on the old forums?

I think so, but, things change :) (I just asked because I accidentally posted a reply to the wrong thread and was trying to delete it.)

For now, report the post and we'll clean it up. We can also move posts to other threads so if this happens in the future rather than posting a new reply just report the post and ask for it to be moved into the proper thread.

Is it known that the menu on top is annoyingly borked? Meaning the menu only popups on a click and then directly closes animated. Means I have to click on "Forums" fast before the dang thing is gone again.
Also, I f***ing hate animated gimmick crappery like the image preview script. Why the f* does it have to be animated and make me wait to see the picture? Are computers too fast today?

If you think that's bad, unfortunately the hover-down menus are broken even worse - especially in IE. May I suggest a bookmark instead of frustrating yourself with the menu? Just bookmark this page and you'll have links to all the community resources.

Not sure what you mean by "animated image preview script" - you mean the lightboxes?

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I used to visit this site back in 2010 before I signed up this year. I almost didn't recognize it until I started reading the forum names. Looks good though, more legit.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement