Getting my foot in the door

Started by
3 comments, last by PropheticEdge 13 years ago
[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]Hey all, I'm new to the forums and relatively new to programming as well. I've worked with Actionscript 2 for a year or two on and off and I've tinkered in AS3. I've recently been dabbling in C++. However, now that I'm beginning to understand the bare fundamentals of game development I'm a bit... overwhelmed.

It's like this; I want to develop 2d and/or 2.5d platformers that are story heavy and highly customizable. While I'm nowhere at the level to do something like that, I'd like to take the proper and most efficient steps to attaining that goal. As of now I'm looking at developing for handhelds and phones; DS, 3DS, PSP, iOS, and Android. What would be the best way to go about learning the fundamentals of game development for that area?[/font]

I'm looking for any and all references. An introduction, a glossary of terms, a dictionary for syntax, Compiler reviews/descriptions, engines, anything. Right now I'm sitting here in Visual C++ express following tutorials and experimenting with what I learn from them. I guess ultimately, I just need a little direction. I can learn anything I need to learn, but I just need to know WHAT to learn. Any help on direction is eternally appreciated.

If this is totally off base and I'm even worse off then I thought let me know too :P
Advertisement

I'm looking at developing for handhelds and phones; DS, 3DS, PSP, iOS, and Android. What would be the best way to go about learning the fundamentals of game development for that area?

If you want to develop on Nintendo and Sony handhelds, you need a Computer Science degree and you need to get a job with a professional game development company.
To develop on iOS and Android you can work independently without first needing to get a job in the game industry, but a CS degree would still be a good way to go.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

It's like this; I want to develop 2d and/or 2.5d platformers that are story heavy and highly customizable. While I'm nowhere at the level to do something like that[/quote]

You actually probably are. Make it with AS2 if that's what you know. Go. Do it. Even if you fail you'll learn something.

If you want to develop on Nintendo and Sony handhelds, you need a Computer Science degree and you need to get a job with a professional game development company.

[/quote]

While excellant advice, thats not wholly accurate. For the DS atleast, you can buy a DS and something they call a "flashcart." Flashcarts are primarily used for pirating DS games, but some thrifty guys have created "libnds" that lets you program the DS in anyway you please. Homemade DS programs are called "homebrew" by people in "the scene." I never got too into it, but a quick Google turned up this site:
Introduction to Nintendo DS Programming

For the PSP I hear you can load custom firmware that allows you to run unsigned code, but I don't have a PSP so thats the extent of what I know.

Forgot to mention that libnds (as far as I know) can only be used with C or C++. Getting a good grip on C++ is definately a good idea, as most commercial titles are written with that language (or something like it, like C#).

While excellant advice, thats not wholly accurate. For the DS atleast, you can buy a DS and something they call a "flashcart." Flashcarts are primarily used for pirating DS games, but some thrifty guys have created "libnds" that lets you program the DS in anyway you please. Homemade DS programs are called "homebrew" by people in "the scene." I never got too into it, but a quick Google turned up this site:
Introduction to Nintendo DS Programming

For the PSP I hear you can load custom firmware that allows you to run unsigned code, but I don't have a PSP so thats the extent of what I know.

Forgot to mention that libnds (as far as I know) can only be used with C or C++. Getting a good grip on C++ is definately a good idea, as most commercial titles are written with that language (or something like it, like C#).
[/quote]

While true, it can be tough to leverage the full power of a gaming system simply by using homebrew libraries and techniques. Plus, you'd never really be able to publish your game in a large scale.

Still, homebrew development is way fun. I did it on the GBA for a bit and had a blast. It's definitely a cool way to practice platform-specific development.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement