Associate or Bachelor's?

Started by
12 comments, last by MilesRobson 12 years, 8 months ago

Oh, you want to be a designer/idea guy? In that case, screw school, you might as well start buying lotto tickets.

That's my point, exactly. It isn't a career. It's a.....happenstance. It's an accident. It's not a job.

At least that's the way most people project it, anyway.

Twitter

Learning to code in general, Junior at FAU

Advertisement
Community College is not a bad choice. And a Associate's though not as strong (at least hiring wise) as Bachelors can be double with ...... Experience! Plus most Community Colleges have programs with the State Universities to get into cool programs and stuff of that nature.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

[quote name='Serapth' timestamp='1312915673' post='4846812']
Oh, you want to be a designer/idea guy? In that case, screw school, you might as well start buying lotto tickets.

That's my point, exactly. It isn't a career. It's a.....happenstance. It's an accident. It's not a job.

At least that's the way most people project it, anyway.
[/quote]

No, it most certainly is a job. There are lots of game designers out there. It is also quite popular and something comes along the same lines as "anyone can cook". Anyone can design, a great designer can come from any discipline.

Most game designers start out in different paths and then move over to design. We have designers who started as programmers, artists, QA, and writers. You need to prove first that you know what a game is and how to make them, then you can more easily do the job, and also be in a spot where you are most likely to see the opening before it becomes common knowledge.

If you want to be a designer 10 years from now, you need to develop a plan to get into the game industry and develop the general development experience necessary for that job.
1. I was planning on getting a Bachelor's, but with recent financial tugs, proved to be difficult.
2. Is an Associate's degree enough of a base education?
3. I mainly want to enter development as a game designer, but I know it's difficult to just get "that job", and I also have skill in IT/Tech repair
4. I have been looking around South Florida for an internship or small Q/A position, not much in this area sadly.

1. Choose a cheaper college, then.
2. No. Read the Breaking In FAQs (scroll up. click. read.)
3. Good, IT would be a viable entry pathway, if you get into the right company. Read the FAQs.
4. Right. Location, location, location. Read the FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='Confirm4Crit' timestamp='1312908278' post='4846764']1. I was planning on getting a Bachelor's, but with recent financial tugs, proved to be difficult.
2. Is an Associate's degree enough of a base education?
3. I mainly want to enter development as a game designer, but I know it's difficult to just get "that job", and I also have skill in IT/Tech repair
4. I have been looking around South Florida for an internship or small Q/A position, not much in this area sadly.

1. Choose a cheaper college, then.
2. No. Read the Breaking In FAQs (scroll up. click. read.)
3. Good, IT would be a viable entry pathway, if you get into the right company. Read the FAQs.
4. Right. Location, location, location. Read the FAQs.
[/quote]
Aye aye, Captain!
I think with college and personal life in the way, I just completely forgot about this. I read it when I was a few years younger, and life got in the way of my goal. I'll re-read the whole FAQ when I get the chance, just to reestablish my brain. Thanks. :)

Twitter

Learning to code in general, Junior at FAU

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement