Hows this for a leveling system

Started by
16 comments, last by danuese 12 years, 6 months ago

[quote name='Orymus' timestamp='1317299109' post='4867165']but recent games have proven successful with 'handcrafted' level tables (quite ironically).
Really? Which ones (except for AD&D where it is done for the purpose of compatibility with the orignal Pen&Paper RPG system, not for gameplay or mechanics)?

Is there any benefit for handcrafing these? I mean, you will handcraft either liner or a curve shape anyway, so why not use a formula for this and forget all the hassle? Handcrafted table would make sense if there were some oddities (like suddenly after level X the requirements become linear instead of progressive or the shape of the curve changes), but I don't recall any game that had such oddity nor I can think of any benefit of implementing such oddity.
[/quote]

I don't know about most of the stuff you said (as it's a question to someone else), but you do bring up a good point. No matter how you do a hand crafted xp system your going to get something that looks nearly liner or parabolic. I made mine by hand and when I grafted it I got basically a exponential curve of sorts. (It's on the paper). A formula really would have been easier.
Advertisement
[size=2]Mypersonal preference these days is fixed exp systems where each level takes thesame amount of exp. For example it could 1000exp.

[size=2]

[size=2]Ifthe exp rewards are also fixed with scaling for enemies it makes things niceand repeatable and recognisable. You can then have a simple exp table forenemies like the one below:

[size=2]

[size=2]Weak:5 xp

[size=2]Common:10 xp

[size=2]Heavy:25 xp

[size=2]Champion:125 xp

[size=2]Elite:250 xp

[size=2]Boss:1000 xp.

[size=2]

[size=2]Addin a scaling system like +- 25% per level difference. and you have nicesimple levelling system.

[size=2]

[size=2]AlsoI'm a fan of less but more meaningful levels.

I personally like it but theres not enough gaps-1000 is not enough in those high levels, it popularly is around 1000points about the teen LVLs. Plus i dont think usually video games are so 5-0 squared with XP numbers. Like LVL29-LVL30 4796 points LVL49-LVL50 13444 points. The latter sentence is not an issue however.

I personally like it but theres not enough gaps-1000 is not enough in those high levels, it popularly is around 1000points about the teen LVLs. Plus i dont think usually video games are so 5-0 squared with XP numbers. Like LVL29-LVL30 4796 points LVL49-LVL50 13444 points. The latter sentence is not an issue however.

Each level shows how much they have to get for each level starting form zero. Not how much total xp the person will have at that level. For instance if it says lvl 40 is 30000 xp and lvl 41 31000 that means that once they get lvl 40 they must get 31,000 xp again to get to lvl 41. Basically lvl 41 would take exactly as much effort to get as lvl 40 plus how ever much effort 1000xp is.
Actually what I was thinking was that it takes 1000 exp to go up any level. So its 1000 from level 2 to 3 and 1000 to go from 50 to 51.

Killing enemies who are lower level to you reduces the exp gain and killing enemies higher level then you gives a bonus.

In this way it takes the same effort to go up any level.
I really like the idea of fixed exp for levels, 1000XP is great. FFVIII did it, and some other games too. I think it's more elegant and it's easier to control how often you want them to level up, and it's easier to balance(I think).

Actually what I was thinking was that it takes 1000 exp to go up any level. So its 1000 from level 2 to 3 and 1000 to go from 50 to 51.

Killing enemies who are lower level to you reduces the exp gain and killing enemies higher level then you gives a bonus.

In this way it takes the same effort to go up any level.

I really like the idea of fixed exp for levels, 1000XP is great. FFVIII did it, and some other games too. I think it's more elegant and it's easier to control how often you want them to level up, and it's easier to balance(I think).

This was also implemented in .hack G.U (ps2).

Some gameboy games also used such a method. They made exp needed to lvl up static, while making the exp gained dynamic. I dont know the math but defeating a character of higher lvl game more exp than someone at lower lvl to a minimum of 1. For example: Tactics Ogre: The knight of Lodis & the FF tactics series.

I find it more comfortable than the others. A high exp need amount just discourages me provided that methods of gaining exp is lame.
But if it's fun, that's another story. Soul Nomad & the World Eaters (ps2) has a lvl limit of 9999! But I just love the fighting :D
[size=2]Sorry, English isn't my first language
I'm generally in favour of the fixed exp. The Paper Mario series pulled it off very nicely, with each level requiring 100 exp, and a boss enemy giving around 30 exp when defeated.

Generally, this is easier to pull off when your game is linear, because that means you can simply divide the enemies in groups of 'common', 'rare', 'boss' and so on wherever you go. If it's possible to go back, i would recommend the increasing exp, since it's probably less effort than making them give less exp as you become stronger. (and easier to balance)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement