Where do you post code(s) you've made and wanted to share it (them) with others at?

Started by
7 comments, last by tom_mai78101 11 years, 7 months ago
I'm asking for a place to submit a few codes for everyone to view and use as a reference / tutorial / etc.

Is there a place like that? It's my first time doing this on GameDev. :D
Advertisement
I don't know of any such place but there are lots of options:
- you can create a developer journal here on Gamedev and post entries there
- you can put your code up on github or other and put the links in your signature
- you can create your own website or blog and upload your codes
etc...

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

You could also Create an Article (they don't have to be large).
This is assuming the code you created is actually high quality (i.e. you know what you are talking about when you say it), and isn't the blind leading the blind.

([size=2]Articles need a link under the "Community" headerbar menu, they aren't very visible here)
What if the code I have created, even though it maybe high quality enough, is just a simple code? Will it get rejected?
Try Pastebin

Easiest way to make games, I love LÖVE && My dev blog/project

*Too lazy to renew domain, ignore above links

What if the code I have created, even though it maybe high quality enough, is just a simple code? Will it get rejected?

For an article to be published it needs to be something that might be of interest to other people. That doesn't automatically rule out simple code snippets, but it does mean we're less likely to be interested if your sample just demonstrates a common technique, unless you happen to also explain that technique unusually well.

You can however self-publish (on a blog, website, github, sourceforge, whatever) your snippet and explanation on submit a link rather than publishing through us and your link would show up amongst our article listings, or you're welcome to publish anything you like (within the site's rules obviously) in a developer journal which any member can create for free.

Other than that, there's also our "Your Announcements" forum, or if you wanted feedback or a technical review on the code you could share it in our technical forums (For Beginners, General Programming, et al).

- Jason Astle-Adams

Oh. Thanks! :D

You could also Create an Article (they don't have to be large).
This is assuming the code you created is actually high quality (i.e. you know what you are talking about when you say it), and isn't the blind leading the blind.

This would have to be peer-reviewed, and our peer-review system isn't ready yet so I wouldn't suggest an article. It's also why links for article publishing aren't prominent yet

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

If you're sharing code, and you wrote a tutorial about it, that counts as an article? If you're just sharing a code snippet along with a tutorial about it, that also counts as an article? I'm getting somewhere...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement