Fair price for Vector graphics?

Started by
1 comment, last by reppinfreedom 11 years, 5 months ago
I have not personally contracted out any vector graphics that I can remember... Just logo's and banner's.

When I was purchasing isometric pixel art a few years ago I was paying 3.5k per 8 sprite sheets like the attached example. I was sometimes paying certain artists upto $500 per 180x180px for more detailed game elements like buildings, trees, and etc... The quality of art can make or break a game.

How much is fair price for high quality isometric Vector graphics? A company of a friend of mine was paying around 15k for the graphics for small arcade games a year ago. Their games used 2d vector/vexel art.

I have never paid by the hour. I have always negociated a price for each job based upon the number of pixels and the quality of the work. This below is Copyrighted. Don't take! :)
Advertisement
It really depends on the amount of work an artists need to invest. Often you really need to invest lot of time in something which looks small and easy.

15k for the graphics for small arcade game

To be honest, this sounds fair, if the artists needed ~2-3 month of work for completing it.
I think it's simplest just to let the artist give you a quote on the job. Btw, very nice looking game Ashaman73!

Any artists around here have any comments? Trying to get an estimate on graphics costs for a game I am launching in early 2014.

Heres some details on the art. Cartoon style isometric art with gradients and one layer of shading to give depth. (For example, the show family guy generally uses one pass of non gradient shading. See attached!) Shadows will be used below isometric characters to reinforce perspective. Top down lighting.

Also attached is one of my rough 2d drawings for the game. I should add in more shading to give the drawing depth. Ugh, drawing is hard! I am not an artist... An artist should be able to easily understand the style I am aiming for though.

Here is an example of a small part of the game art... Ten 90x46px character sprite sheet's isometric with eight directions of movement. With top down lighting that is just five different animations. About ten frames per character action... Five unique actions. Walking, idling in place, moving fast, etc... Works out to 250 sprites total, but only about 25 semi unique vector sprites which are manipulated frame by frame for the animation. What would be a fair price for that? I am only looking for art quality around what the top vector facebook social games have.

I am a social app developer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement