where to get started?

Started by
2 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 11 years, 1 month ago

Hello, i am 15 years old and the job i am dreaming of is to create characters in video games. and if i get enough time to learn also enviroment.

and of course armor and weapons if that is included in the game.

and in my last topic i asked about what programs and skill that was needed. i am pretty confused with the drawing skill, if that was needed or not.

i dont have eny skills in drawing but i can train that up if it is needed of course.

but my question is if someone with this job could tell me where i can start training.

shall i start with Zbrush or maya or photoshop or with something like blender or crytech? or maybe even drawing.

as i know the one that makes concept art is the one that uses drawing skill. and scetching on a computer and the 3d artist is the one that makes the 3d model after that. please also tell me if you are working with this or a job that is simular to this.

and also tell where to start and what to do next.example: start with training up zbrush cause ................... and then you should train with photoshop and maya cause ............. or something but intead of the dots the reason why i should start with that.

THANKS ALOT FOR ENY HELP YOU COULD GIVE.

SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH. AS I SAID I AM ONLY 15 YEARS OLD.

Advertisement

...Okay. Let's start with...
Blender and Maya are 3D programs. One is free, the other is ridiculously expensive unless you're a student.

Zbrush is a sculpting program. You should use it with a graphics tablet. It behaves very different to Maya and Blender.
Crytech is a company; their engine, CryEngine, is... an Engine, not a program to build 3D models in.

Photoshop is for 2D art and textures.

• You need to learn how to use Photoshop in order to get the hang of texturing objects.
  • You should practice drawing in your spare time for the sake of your sanity as a 3D artist. You won't always have a 2D artist handing you concepts to work off, it's better if you can be proficient at drawing your own for personal projects.
  • Learn whatever you can. The more you can learn about what's going on in the whole team, the better you can be at optimizing the job YOU want to do. So, it's far worth it to try to learn a little drawing skill, so you know what you need to tell the production artist if you're having trouble. To know why the Designer wants this, the Director wants that...
  • Just do it. Draw, model, sculpt. The more you do, the better you'll get. Look for challenges and tutorials that explain things you don't know yet.

Good luck. Hope this helps somewhat.

I agree with BagelHero, and here are my thoughts:

Take art classes, especially if you don't have previous experience. They will help you with the basics of seeing things from a creator's standpoint and make you practice, which is the real key to being very good.

I would strongly recommend learning to draw, since it will give you a pretty strong foundation to work from and will always be a useful skill.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Hi,

I am actually in the industry as a 2D and 3D artist.

Drawing is a huge advantage and is considered prerequisite ability by companies for certain positions in some art teams. This may be true for amateur teams, too. In the industry in general, a good drawing ability would serve you well.

However, I have an ironic story. My freehand drawing skills are exceptionally good, though I am admittedly slow and obsessed with quality. Some companies would love that and hire me as a concept artist in a heartbeat. The biggest irony is that I entered the industry through a 3D friend ( a game concept designer, too) who I had known for years. I had only wanted to create 3D models as a hobby and maybe after many years be able to do some pro stuff. After a few weeks of tinkering with Wings3D and having showed him some of my models, my friend said that his jaw literally dropped! He said that the quality of my work was already years advanced and I had only been at it several weeks. "You're a *%##@! prodigy!!" he told me. My friend wanted me to join his art team to make a major game, so here I am! I have been doing this now for over 2 1/2 years and honed other skills such as 2D art and IT consulting in the industry.

If you work hard at the 2 or 3 areas that bring you the most passion and satisfaction, then you too will be on your own personal fast track of advancement in game creation. One secret is to not do too many different things at one time. Get good at one, then move to the next. Another secret is that who you know will have a major effect on the opportunities presented to you, as it did in my case.

Now, there is a strong demand for certain artists and always a demand for very skilled artists in any category, so don't worry if you know you are good.

Character artists with originality and appeal are always sought! Start with paper character concepts for a few months and then get a drawing tablet such as Wacom. GIMP is a good thing in your tool box. Top tool software to consider long term would be to start with Blender. Collada would be a good thing to have in your portfolio, such as making an animated character in Blender and porting by Collada into Torque3D or other engine, animations and all. Maya is great and so is ZBrush, but I highly advise progressing approximately in the order that I listed here, which should typically take a few years - worth the effort! Remember: Many programs are no cost forever or no cost to students in a student version.

Being able to draw your characters first before you touch 3D technology is a powerful way of communicating and promoting your character concepts, and in some companies may be required, reason because it is far faster to draw a character on paper or digital art tablet (Wacom, etc) and show them for approval than to create it in a 3D program. This cost savings (in money and time) has another advantage in allowing changes to be made at the concept phase much quicker, too. If the concept art of the character artist is good enough, it has the added advantage of being shown to potential investors or others concerned or used in advertisements for the game at a later date. All the while, the artist works on approved characters.

Remember: You can climb any mountain in the world if you take it one step at a time. You can do this! biggrin.png

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement