Microsoft and the Xbox One. Thoughts?

Started by
267 comments, last by Hodgman 10 years, 10 months ago

The console itself isn't what bothers me, its the games, so tired of FPS, if Nintendo actually made their games challenging for a change I would have gotten whatever they brought out, I am generally against FPS games and WoW like MMOs now for the obvious reasons.

Just once I would like to play a Zelda game where you play as Ganondorf and defeat Link by bashing Navi in his face, or a Mario game where Mario half way says "oh screw it, that bitch isn't going to learn, keep her, if she didn't want to get kidnapped all the time she should just lock her castle door then".

I played a few FPS at friends house and was extremely bored, at first it was cool, reminded me of Goldeneye back in the day kindda, but then after like an hour I was like "so what exactly is there to do other than going around killing random people and bragging on mic?".

But that doesn't mean I shouldn't respect people who like that sort of gameplay, I for one find all the 'popular' games for Xbox / PS dreadfully boring as a result I will once again avoid all consoles (and PC games for that matter).

Advertisement

AS of now I'm not a fan. It just doesn't seem like it really has anything to do with gaming to me. Almost like it plays games as an after thought.

So, the E3 announcements have revealed even more. I don't like the Xbox One much more though. Anyone else have thoughts?

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

So, the E3 announcements have revealed even more. I don't like the Xbox One much more though. Anyone else have thoughts?

In the interest of consolodating discussion, there's already been a bit here. Probably better to constrain E3 impressions to a single thread.

The last thing the video game industry needs is MORE money!

The harder they have to fight for money, the better video games will become

Right now they have it easy, games like BF3 make well over $1,000,000,000 over their lifetime

And even failures are making profits ...

All DRM means is more money for less work = bigger comfort zone for investors and customers suffering

Or the companies will go out of business.

?_?

The last thing the video game industry needs is MORE money!

Right now they have it easy, games like BF3 make well over $1,000,000,000 over their lifetime

All DRM means is more money for less work = bigger comfort zone for investors and customers suffering

Do you live in the same world as the rest of us? What's it like to live in a house made of icing and rainbows?

Yes there are heavy hitters out there pulling in a billion dollars, for every one of them there's 10 that make 100 million, and 100 that make just 10 million (which is already unprofitable for an AA game) -- and for every one of those there are 1000 that make even less, which luckily are small games that cost less to produce. AAA studios close practically every week because their game sold "only" a million copies.

I'm no fan of DRM, but honestly, Microsoft essentially solved the problem of piracy with the 360 -- Sure, there are effective cracks now, but piracy is not a widespread problem. If you ask Microsoft, the network-based DRM and software installs are more about not having to swap discs every time you play a game than it is about piracy. There's the used-game licensing aspect too, but whether you agree with that or not, you at least must realize that its better for the publisher and studio to get a cut of the sale, rather than all of the profits going to gamestop, who had nothing to do with its creation.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Plenty of my friends like to trade games in for store credit, and essentially buy new ones with that credit. That won't be possible anymore, and the shops' business will suffer for it. You may not care, but it's Microsoft who'll be reaping what would have been their profits. Does no one see this as a bit too greedy?

Have you ever been to Gamestop? Have you ever tried to buy a new game, only to have them try to push a "like new used game for $5 less" off on you? Gamestop does this because their profit margin on it is huge.

And do you know how much money the developer makes on each used sale? Zilch. Used games are exactly the same thing as piracy when it comes to developers making money.

Gamestop has for years been deliberately harming new sales by aggressively pushing used. Whereas the developer makes more money when there are no used games, who makes money on used games? Just Gamestop, which is a parasite that contributes nothing useful.

Meanwhile, on pc, you have Steam. Steam games are cheaper than console games and new games regularly go on firehouse sales. I've picked up six month old titles for $20 on Steam. You will never see that on consoles ATM, and that is specifically because of the used market.

This new system is much better for developers and it will be better for people who actually buy a lot of new games. It will be worse for people who mostly buy used games, but they may as well just go pirate their games anyway, for all they contribute to the useful parts of the industry. The only group that truly suffers here is Gamestop.

Volvo doesn't get a single cent if i buy a used car either, the right to sell things you've bought is a very fundamental part of basic property rights.

The publisher has no moral right at all to take any profit from second hand sales, they got paid the full price for that specific copy when it was sold the first time, if the games aren't good enough for people to want to hold on to for more than a few weeks its a quality problem, blaming that on gamestop or other retailers is just silly, comparing it to piracy is retarded bullshit.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I always wondered, does the End User Licence Agreement forbids you from reselling the licence you bought? I don't remember reading that in the EULAs I've read.

I know there are EULAs who forbid you to do such thing. Say, various VSTs for DAWs forbid you from reselling the licence (this is more an apples to apples comparison since it is a software).

It is seems weird to me that publishers go through so many hoops to keep their userbase from reselling the licences instead of plain forbid it in the EULA.

I agree with SimonForsman though. It sounds like a very basic thing to me. If I bought it, and its mine (either a physical thing like a Volvo or a licence), I should be able to resell it.

But then, other issues come to mind. If I bought a licence to use UnrealEngine 4 (I have a wild imagination :P), if I don't want it anymore and I don't have any published products that use it, can I resell it to someone else? I don't think so.

Looks pretty grey to me. I still think anyone should be allowed to resell their games if they want to, the dev/publisher already got the money from that licence.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

AAA studios close practically every week because their game sold "only" a million copies

exactly my point - they will be forced to rethink and stop generating asset-heavy and entertainment-light boredom-ware

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement