Wanting to move on from Actionscript 3...

Started by
7 comments, last by iskatsu 10 years, 4 months ago

... but to what?

I really like Actionscript 3, and I think I have learned enough of it (nowhere near all of it, of course, stuff you need to make single player games) to learn new language. I´d like something that is similar to AS3. What I´d most likely do with it is make story heavy games like telltale does, strategy games and overall single player games for PC... and on my own I´ll first stick to 2D. And I´d also like language that might benefit me in other ways too, like some language I could maybe get a job place from some company... possibly outside game industry.

What you guys suggest? some of the C languages? Java? something else? I´m really lost and I have been trying to decide way too long without getting any learning done, changing my mind from this to that, not sticking to one language...

(I first asked this on "game programming" section before realizing there actually is "for beginners" section on these forums, although I am not really ´in the beginning´ but still I think this question is better at this section... So, if it´s okay to moderators, I´ve reposted this thread to here.)

Advertisement

C, C++, and Java all have similar syntax to AS3. Most games are written in c++, and there are many free c++ game libraries, so I would personally go with c++. That's not to say Java is bad as Java has its own pros and cons.

You just have to research both and decide which is best for what you are trying to do.

Don't know why are you moving from AS3, since it has Flex+Starling+Feathers which give you the simple mechanism for 2D games making (out studio is making the game by means of those tools right now). Anyway, if you want something similar, you can try JavaScript and make games in HTML5. JS and AS3 are almost identical. The only major difference is the code structure - JS doesn't default anything to class. If you want something more powerful for PC, I would recommend C++.

Sounds like you're just trying to get your hands dirty with the cooler toys. C++ or Java are good choices. I don't know if I should even recommend C. Generally you learn C by virtue of learning C++, although you'll be used to different programming practices between the two (and I don't mean to make this aspect feel insignificant).

Yo dawg, don't even trip.

I would recommend C++ for games in general or python for history-oriented games such as visual novels, point and clicks, simple adventure types.

But let me ask you a question, have you finished a game with AS3? I mean, the language you are using is really not that important in the end, since you can change it how many times you need. But being able to finish something is really one you need, above all languages.

So, my final word is stick with AS3 until you have finished a single game. After that, you can probably choose any language and you'll be fine.

If you do decide to have a look at using C++, then Adobe CrossBridge might be interesting for you. It allows you to write your code in C++ which is compiled into Flash bytecode (so can run in the Flash plugin or Air) but it also allows you to access the Flash canvas and other Flash libraries.

As a bonus it also allows for the inlining of AS3 code into it (in a similar way how you would inline ASM).

This might be useful to reuse your existing code but also start learning C++.

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

I would recommend C++ for games in general or python for history-oriented games such as visual novels, point and clicks, simple adventure types.

But let me ask you a question, have you finished a game with AS3? I mean, the language you are using is really not that important in the end, since you can change it how many times you need. But being able to finish something is really one you need, above all languages.

So, my final word is stick with AS3 until you have finished a single game. After that, you can probably choose any language and you'll be fine.

I have finished one small game for my school as final project, a knight duel game, a reaction based game with mix of rock-paper-scissors mechanism for two players on same screen and computer, which was about year ago, and from that I have moved on to more ambitious projects that I have not yet finished, nowhere near. One project I actually had to scrap because it was too ambitious and became such monstrosity that I didn´t even know where it was headed, though I have salvaged a lot from that thing which have helped me on my current less ambitious projects.

And yeah, I have few projects going on with AS3 that I will finish... I didn´t say it clearly, don´t know why, but I was thinking of learning some new language after those.

Don't know why are you moving from AS3, since it has Flex+Starling+Feathers which give you the simple mechanism for 2D games making (out studio is making the game by means of those tools right now). Anyway, if you want something similar, you can try JavaScript and make games in HTML5. JS and AS3 are almost identical. The only major difference is the code structure - JS doesn't default anything to class. If you want something more powerful for PC, I would recommend C++.

I am thinking of trying to switch my focus from AS3 to other languages since everyone who have been doing this so much longer than me, including teachers say that flash will be dead... And I am really these years taking my first steps, so I am at good position to learn new language. (Also, maybe I just need to grow thicker skin against naysayers? tongue.png )

Anyways, Java sounds like something that might suit my needs better than C++... though that Adobe CrossBridge sounds really neat... >_<

I'd say go with C# and Unity.

I am thinking of trying to switch my focus from AS3 to other languages since everyone who have been doing this so much longer than me, including teachers say that flash will be dead... And I am really these years taking my first steps, so I am at good position to learn new language. (Also, maybe I just need to grow thicker skin against naysayers? tongue.png )

Anyways, Java sounds like something that might suit my needs better than C++... though that Adobe CrossBridge sounds really neat... >_<

Well, first of all, Flash won't get anywhere any time soon. Doomsayers started those rumors ten years ago, and it is still alive and very performant. Adobe still improves it and not so long ago they created an environment, utilizing user machine GPUs. Moreover, 99% of social games are still written by means of Flash. HTML5 doesn't have such an incredible performance capabilities and tons of game making tools. Even on mobile devices HTML5 is lacking performance and responsiveness, while Air provides you awesome GPU-accelerated runtime, which results in nearly native-performant application speeds. I'm not even counting in that you can't protect your game assets in HTML5 in any way.

Regarding your language choice, I would highly recommend you think twice. In game development, Java usually utilized as server-side language because of its safety and rich network-related libraries and tools. If you are serious about game development, you sure have to learn it, but the main worker in the game development is C++ because of it's incredible unmatched speed for client-side application parts (interface, 3D scenes and so on). So I highly encourage you to learn it ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement