how to start a game studio?

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 10 years, 3 months ago

Hi,

I want to start a game studio. Yet I do not know how to do that.

I am a game programmer and have experience with unity and cocos2d-x and a master degree in game development. I am currently working at a mobile game company. I have developed some small mobile games. I already have the idea of the game and it will be on cellphone as well.

I need partners to help make the game and need money to keep the team alive. Can someone give me some advice?

Advertisement

Uhm, yeah... you'll need money. How much money you'll need depends on you, your project requirements, and your team size.

You do want to pay your team members, right? If you don't, they are working for you from their own graciousness, which tends to have a short shelf life. Once that's over with, they'll jump ship and work for someone else who gives them more than what you have to offer. If they've been working for you for any period of time, they'll start growing and gaining specialized knowledge about how to work on your project. You don't want that invested talent leave your project. So, you want to pay your people. Obviously. And you get what you pay for, so don't be skimpy on the pay.

Naturally, if you have employees, you'll also have to give them a place to work. Where will that be? will you lease an office space? will you bring them to your garage? What's the plan on equipment? What about heating, air conditioning, electricity, bathrooms, internet access, etc?

Shoot, it's getting complicated fast! Alright, maybe you want to scale back a bit. Maybe you'll just work alone for a while. Once you've released a simple game to bring in some cash flow, you can hopefully afford to bring on an additional team member for the next game. Can you do that?

The other route is to go hunting for publishers to finance your game studio. Good luck with that. If you're not established, you'd better have a very strong sales pitch to convince them to get in bed with you. Then, they'll tell you what to work on and when to deliver it. You'll have your game studio, your team, and all that, but won't be creating what you wanted. If you do well, maybe you could eventually end your financial dependence on the publisher.

I guess the bottom line here is that you are going to have to do a lot of research and the first step will be to write a thorough business plan on how you're going to make it all happen. You'll have a lot of challenges which you need to address.

Moving to the business forum.

Basically his summary is correct. You need a business plan. If you don't have a plan, your next step is to gain the knowledge necessary to form a business plan.

Most businesses fail, so be prepared for that. You can also be prepared for success, since that happens too, but failure is by far the most common. Usually it isn't until the third, fourth, or even later startup attempt that people actually develop a successful business.

1. I want to start a game studio. Yet I do not know how to do that.

2. I already have the idea of the game

3. I need partners to help make the game and need money to keep the team alive. Can someone give me some advice?

1. Then you shouldn't do that until you do.

2. The game? A game isn't a business. What's the business plan?

3. Yes. Read these:

http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson29.htm

http://sloperama.com/advice/finances.htm

http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson16.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement