Unreal Engine 4

Started by
55 comments, last by Aqua Costa 10 years ago

So I've been looking through the code and the docs, this is a rather disappointing "advancement" when all is considered. At least from the rendering end. It's just static cubemapped reflections with a few recent hacks like projecting onto shapes, cubemap blending, and pre-filtered mipmaps.

The reflection capture is placed by hand, it's all static (no realtime relighting, which I've been thinking how you'd do with cubemaps). There's all the usual problems of light leaking and relatively high memory requirements. Transparencies aren't handled that well yet, nor are multiple lighting models. I don't see how this is a production ready environment for some of the games announced to use it (Fable Legends will surely keep the series trademark interactivity, night and day cycle, and etc.)

The blueprint and scripted materials are quite nice, the editor is nice to use. But it's a vast disappointment compared to the Elemental demo shown 2 years ago. Ohwell, C'est la vie. I guess I was just hoping for a new paradigm of some sort. At least the code is well written and commented, and the docs are nice and clear for anyone to read.

Advertisement

Did they dropped their dynamic octree GI thingy? Or it wasn't dynamic to begin with?

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Did they dropped their dynamic octree GI thingy? Or it wasn't dynamic to begin with?

You have to generate it, maybe in a future update they will add a new version of real-time GI since Unity 5 will.

Yeah, they dropped it because it was too expensive.

Turns out that "nextgen" GPU hardware isn't as powerful as thy were hoping. The voxel GI will make a comback later, once everyone figures out how to best implement it using PRT/tiled-resources, as this will be the best method for the new hardware.

They are releasing the Elemental Demo with UE4.1 (for free, see here), however I still have not been able to figure out if it contains the SVOGI impl., or if its been converted to LightMass or the LPV tech they settled with for dynamic GI (the Fable: Legends blog had a post on this in the past week).

I haven't had time to look at the source code unsure.png , so maybe someone can answer this: How hard would it be to add a custom rendering path, say Forward+?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement