Playing a video in OpenGL

Started by
6 comments, last by Vortez 10 years ago

Hi, I'm not new to C# but I can't say I'm an expert in it either. But that's off-topic. Okay so, Let me break down what I'm trying to do.

So, I have a game that I'm trying to make a executable(EXE) file to run it, but what I want to do is when the client(or exe whatever you want to call it) is ran, I would like it to play a certain video(e.g. like 5 secs long) then go it to the main menu screen. But so far I can't seem to find anyway to do this in OpenGL or in this case SharpGL(.NET version of OpenGL). People keep telling me make textures and add the video to it, but when I go through the code I can't seem to find anything there(unless I'm completely missing something), unless I'm not using the right library, I don't know what to do. A friend of mine was able to do it in C++ with OpenGL but that, in my opinion is completely different, since I'm still learning C++, I cannot attempt to make it in that language without taking weeks to look stuff up and learn.

So to summarize is there a way to play a video using this library? If not is there an alternative that I can use to do this.

Small note: Basically what I'm trying to achieve, is go from a normal game, to a client-server game, and eventually learn to make a mmo(dream a very far dream.) So far, I'm trying to make the client-server part, which this is for.

Hopefully I made some sense,

Thanks for reading,

kaitodomoto

P.S: I'm new to the forum, I have yet to read the rules(if any), not sure if this belongs here, if it doesn't, then the mods can do what they want with it.

Advertisement

You could take a look at this tutorial from nehe, a bit outdated but it still work. Otherwise, you need to find a library that can decompress the video frame and render those as texture.

I can't seem to find the code in the SharpGL library, the closest thing I found was

SharpGL.SceneGraph.Assets.Texture

But other then that nothing.

I guess it time to look for a library, I know there's SDL.NET but I tried using that once and it did not work out well.

Do you by any chance have any library's that you'd recommend, if you don't its alright.

But thanks for the help.

Not mentioning that decoding things by hand isn't quite fun.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Not mentioning that decoding things by hand isn't quite fun.

Not trying to sound rude, but what do you mean?

Videos are compressed, thus to be used they need to be decoded first. Otherwise a 3min videogame intro would weigh a couple hundred of MBs.

OpenGL doesn't understands of "videos", the closest thing it understands is textures. And that would mean decoding the video to get each single of its frames, then pass them to OpenGL for rendering one after the other.

That's why vortez suggested an aditional library for decoding the video. Video compression algorithms are complex and ever evolving. And at least for me, decoding compressed formats by hand isn't fun at all.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Videos are compressed, thus to be used they need to be decoded first. Otherwise a 3min videogame intro would weigh a couple hundred of MBs.

OpenGL doesn't understands of "videos", the closest thing it understands is textures. And that would mean decoding the video to get each single of its frames, then pass them to OpenGL for rendering one after the other.

That's why vortez suggested an aditional library for decoding the video. Video compression algorithms are complex and ever evolving. And at least for me, decoding compressed formats by hand isn't fun at all.

Oh, I understand, and I get your point, though I don't have first hand experience of what you are talking about, but I'll take your advice and see what I can do.

Thanks for the information though.

Do you by any chance have any library's that you'd recommend, if you don't its alright.

ffmpeg has a very nice library, at least, last time i used it i was able to encode a mp1 movie frame by frame, im pretty sure there is a decoder too, and i think it work for multiples format. Here's the wikipedia article on it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement