What version of MonoGame should I use ?

Started by
4 comments, last by SeanMiddleditch 9 years, 6 months ago

Hi, I'm new on the forums, also in game development.

I will give some information about my PC or Laptop in my case. It's a Dell Inspirion 1525 with a integrated graphics chipset.

I want to try 2D games to start my journal in game development, then, could I use MonoGame 2.5.1 with my laptop ? or just try anyother game library ?

Thanks for the help :)

Advertisement

I think MonoGame is quite good for a beginner. Personally I made my first steps in game programming with XNA (MonoGame is an implementation of the XNA API). But is there any specific reason why you want to use version 2.5.1? The latest release is currently 3.2.

Or you could use Ethan Lee's SDL2 port of MonoGame which is the that I'm currently using as the official MonoGame release has some missing features on Windows (i.e. the VideoPlayer class).

yes I want to use 2.5.1 because I try it some months ago with 3.2 and my laptop didn't run really well, specialy for my laptop's settings. I think it's not enough to run 3.2 version of monogame or maybe OpenGL.

A quick Google search came up with OpenGL 1.4 being the latest that is supported by your hardware. As MonoGame 3 uses OpenGL 2 this explains why it doesn't work for you. The older 2.5.1 release might indeed work better for as it supports OpenGL 1.1.

really thanks for the help :D you gave me a lot of energy to start again :)

Thanks

That chipset also supports DirectX 10, so other game toolkits/engines that support that API instead of forcing OpenGL will support a higher feature level without forcing you to use an out-dated copy of the software. Unity, for instance, should run on it without problems, as would Unreal.

MonoGame 3.2 also claims to support "a new desktop platform for Windows using DirectX" so it might actually work for you if you figure out how to use that support.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement