Is it realistic to expect to make money in Unity Asset Store/UE4 Marketplace?

Started by
33 comments, last by Shpongle 9 years ago
Yes, the profitable projects tend to be created by experienced professionals. They typically have an extremely high initial investment, and as they products have done well in the marketplace they typically add elements or correct defects as they are reported.

It is rare (but not impossible) for a beginner to create something that interests the community and becomes profitable.

The best resources tend to be those extracted from real-world polished games. That is, you complete your game, maybe complete two or three games, then share with the community some of the parts you build. It also helps with marketing, as you can say things like "As used in MegaSuperGame and MegaSuperGame 2".
Advertisement

Okay, thank you again, frob. It seems that as a beginner, I have months, or even years of work ahead of me, before I even get the chance to earn some small amounts of money. Not very encouraging :(

Okay, thank you again, frob. It seems that as a beginner, I have months, or even years of work ahead of me, before I even get the chance to earn some small amounts of money. Not very encouraging
Such is life when you expect to make money in very specialized areas.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Okay, thank you again, frob. It seems that as a beginner, I have months, or even years of work ahead of me, before I even get the chance to earn some small amounts of money. Not very encouraging sad.png

If you can do something really well, right now, then there's nothing holding you back. Asset makers with a professional pedigree can make money because they deliver professional results -- not because they went to school or worked at a well-known studio. They probably did do those things and that probably does play a big role in the level of results they produce, but its not a requirement. No one's going to dig up your school transcripts and resume before buying assets from you -- if they're good, that is.

Keep in mind that we're talking about non-exclusive assets if we're talking about the Unity Asset Store -- that means also that the assets that will make real money need to be universally appealing, as well as high-quality. You could deliver a very well-executed but niche texture and only see a handful of lifetime sales, and it still wouldn't be worthwhile unless you were able to price it 10 or 100 times higher than a similar-quality texture with more universal appeal. That's another part where experience comes into play -- you need a sense of what will sell, you can't just throw things against the wall to see what sticks.

I would suggest though, that most people do not start by delivering a level of quality that's fit for retail. Most everyone at some point started at the bottom where they literally could not pay someone to take their work, and then they got better and couldn't give their work away, and then they got a better still -- good enough to give their work away, and then the got much better and could sell their work at discount rates, and then they got better again -- more than they ever had before -- and finally they could hope to make a living at it. Everyone starts at the bottom unless they're some kind of virtuoso.

Its not meant to be discouraging, but its reality, and you'll need to pay your dues like everyone else did before you.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Okay, thank you again, frob. It seems that as a beginner, I have months, or even years of work ahead of me, before I even get the chance to earn some small amounts of money. Not very encouraging sad.png

That's pretty standard for any profession. People will usually only pay for professional results. And delivering professional results involves building a skillset, which takes time.

The upside is that if you start now and work hard, you will get better and be able to one day deliver those professional results.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement