File format for 3D Meshes and Animations

Started by
14 comments, last by Doug Rogers 8 years, 7 months ago

FBX and collada are really bloated and are not suited for any serious game project.

…we’ve used FBX in several projects at work here, as well as on all of my own engines (in all cases as an intermediate step before out own proprietary formats, of course).

Collada and FBX are not designed to be used in a game engine and have lot of stuff which is not really useful in game development

Perhaps not useful in hobbyist game development. We use(d) quite a lot of it, and if we don’t support something it is at least nice to know it is there if we want to support it later.
You also get to select what you want to load from an FBX file, so in the end excess data is neither cumbersome nor slow. It’s just there if you need it.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Advertisement

The exporters on the opengex.org website are official. As for the criticism, please realize that not everyone who posts an opinion on the internet has the same qualifications. Some people are educated and experienced, and they probably know what they're talking about. Other people have never actually been a professional software developer, and yet they like to bash everything as if they were some kind of expert. There is a lot of praise for OpenGEX out there in addition to the few negative opinions you might have read. It's up to you to decide whether somebody's opinion actually holds water based on their qualifications. And if you can't find out what their qualifications are, then they probably don't have any.

The exporters on opengex.org aren't official, in the sense they weren't made by the tool they are for. Blender and AutoDesk seem to not really care about the format that much. I completely agree with your point about criticism, but I don't know of anyone who uses it and is content about it. People in this topic seem to recommend it without having ever used it themselves. This makes me a bit skeptical about the format.

The exporters on the opengex.org website are official. As for the criticism, please realize that not everyone who posts an opinion on the internet has the same qualifications. Some people are educated and experienced, and they probably know what they're talking about. Other people have never actually been a professional software developer, and yet they like to bash everything as if they were some kind of expert. There is a lot of praise for OpenGEX out there in addition to the few negative opinions you might have read. It's up to you to decide whether somebody's opinion actually holds water based on their qualifications. And if you can't find out what their qualifications are, then they probably don't have any.

The exporters on opengex.org aren't official, in the sense they weren't made by the tool they are for. Blender and AutoDesk seem to not really care about the format that much. I completely agree with your point about criticism, but I don't know of anyone who uses it and is content about it. People in this topic seem to recommend it without having ever used it themselves. This makes me a bit skeptical about the format.

Didn't Eric create the OpenGEX format and actively uses it in the C4 engine? lol

FBX and collada are really bloated and are not suited for any serious game project.

…we’ve used FBX in several projects at work here, as well as on all of my own engines (in all cases as an intermediate step before out own proprietary formats, of course).

Collada and FBX are not designed to be used in a game engine and have lot of stuff which is not really useful in game development

Perhaps not useful in hobbyist game development. We use(d) quite a lot of it, and if we don’t support something it is at least nice to know it is there if we want to support it later.
You also get to select what you want to load from an FBX file, so in the end excess data is neither cumbersome nor slow. It’s just there if you need it.

L. Spiro

Sorry to be unclear on this topic, you are right.

I mean, that FBX/Collada will not be used directly in a game engine using one of the SDKs, but only in form of a converted, game engine internal format. I think, that FBX (Collada) are the standard way (using a converter) to get you model data into your game nowadays.

I went through exactly this so let me tell you what I do. I export my models, including animations, to FBX files. I then use the FBX SDK to import them directly to my engine:

3ds max -> export as fbx file -> load fbx file in engine (using fbx sdk)

I plan on doing the following now that the hard part is done:

3ds max -> export as fbx file -> convert fbx file to custom format (using fbx sdk) -> load cutom format in engine

I agree with L. Spiro.

Export FBX from your art tool and convert that to your own internal format using the FBX SDK in a separate tool. There are some things that do not convert well from FBX, but those are rare. You also will not have to create your own exporter this way, just a conversion tool.

The issue with using FBX files directly is that the FBX format is not well suited to real time rendering. It needs some processing that can be done offline. Creating your own conversion tool frees you from having to use the FBX runtime in your app.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement