Flowing water is indeed in Mars.

Started by
38 comments, last by FGFS 8 years, 7 months ago
http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/28/9408645/nasa-mars-water-flow-discovery-proof

So now what? Does the government give NASA $10 billion extra dollars in budget? Do we start building domes underwater to test domes on Mars?

Another question. If water leads to microbial life, then is that a sure sign that some sort of life began on Mars? Because from I understand, plenty of volcanic debris was shot out from Earth and ended up in Mars. So some or even all of that life could be actually from Earth not Mars.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement

From what I gather they haven't confirmed any large amount of water or permanent water, just that some streaks in the sand are caused by flowing water during warmer seasons. So basically the sun is warm enough to melt some ice close to the surface..

When it comes to life I think even the simplest theories require ridiculous amounts of energy to create the basic building blocks. Though some theories say they were actually created close to the creation of the universe when everything was still so dense that for a while the entire universe was like one big ocean or something like that, so in that case I guess whatever ended up on Earth would be on Mars as well.

If you go to Wikipedia on origin of life you can follow links for days, fun times :)

Not a big surprise. It's been known for some time that perchlorates exist on the surface of Mars, water ice can and does exist beneath the surface in some regions and that the atmospheric temperatures and pressures on Mars can get up to the triple point of perchlorate brine.

maybe many many years ago we lived on mars killed it and a small group moved on to a new planet named earth.

To repeat what we did there. We are on track to kill this planet too.

Oh too late where all dead we just have not been told yet. Japan nuke power plant comes to mind, radiation in the water 3 thirds of the world water gone.

No wonder the sharks are all gone mad now.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

As for going to mars point less.

Oh too late where all dead we just have not been told yet.

fb0.jpg

There! Problem solved. smile.png

Nypyren Sending you my free Love-O-Meter.

Behold the media going into a frenzy. I mean, WATER ON MARS???!!1! But seriously, this is not a revolutionary breakthrough, as Oberon says above this is really just confirming or at least supporting what was already suspected. It's just like when people went crazy over finding organics on Rosetta's comet. Organics, holy shit, alien life?? Except "organics" basically means "hydrocarbons", as in carbon-hydrogen compounds (some definitions include oxygen bonds) and not actual life forms of some sort. But the latter sells way better rolleyes.gif

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

I don't think they just found "streaks" that indicate water. That is old news which made them suspicious that it was caused by running water. I believe the most recent findings confirmed that there was liquid water. However, it is too briney to support life as we know it.

Mars and Water is like Game of Thrones and Dragons, and NASA is George R. R. Martin...

They always promise us proof for water on Mars, yet they always just deliver another "could be" finding.

They have become awefully good at marketing now that their funds are cut to the barebones, but I find the Exoplanet findings of planets outside of our solar system much more entertaining... just as intangible and useless, but much more fantastic.

I mean, what is more awesome, water on Mars (duh... that is like a 50-50 chance anyway, being in the habitable zone and having water alone is not so exciting without the prove of lifeforms), or planets that get struck by 18'000 kph wind shockwaves during close transitions of their suns, planets that heat up to 2700°C on their day side?

smile.png

This is an interesting take on the subject: http://qz.com/512974/if-there-is-liquid-water-on-mars-no-one-not-even-nasa-can-get-anywhere-near-it/?utm_source=YPL

Even if this does turn out to be accurate, we cannot go near it. Not with a probe or person.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement