Lost,

Started by
2 comments, last by Tangletail 7 years, 10 months ago

I started a project a year ago that probably way too big for just myself, but I kinda don't want to give it up. The game is was meant to be a simple dungeon crawler for the android. Initially, I wrote the game in using a framework I copied long ago. The framework was really basic and fit the needs of the game I was developer. Problem was it used OpenGL ES 1, when I was learning OpenGL ES 1 was already being recognized as an archaic beast in the wake of ES 2 and 3. In the end I ported it over into the LibGDX framework. My problem is that although I have an immediate knowledge of OpenGL some things still escape me and I am having a hard time finding understandable information through google. So far I have developed a broken 3D maze generator. The piece I am trying to develop is the Battle System. Its really the last big piece, menus and radars although time consuming are rather simple to create.

My two problems are "Damage and Stat Calculation." Every piece of information I have found online has been more and more vague and confusing.

The last problem are particles and lighting. I can't find information on the math behind this two subjects anywhere. I was hoping someone here can point me is the right direction.

[attachment=32107:maze.zip] is the zipped .jar file of broken Maze Generator. Good example of my lighting problem.

The controls are mapped to the arrow keys. I have a tendency to use the LibGDX framework for the desktop debugging capabilities and have every intention of carting game right back to the original android environment upon completion.

Advertisement

I'm having problems trying tunderstand what you need here. You mention graphical problems... but then list logic problems... and then particles and lighting.

You need to be really specific about what your problem is with Damage and Stat Calculation.

And for Particles and Lighting...

Lighting depends on the shader you wish to use. So Phong would be the most basic choice you can go with here. It's a per pixel lighting formula, and it's math can be found all over the internet.

For particles... it's a bit wonky. the particle themselves exist... usually as a billboard sprite. Which can be translated through space pretty easily. There is no generalized math formula here. But if you want it moving, you need to do some vector calculus yourself to get different results. Usually, some of the better designed particle engines has a pre-set list of operators that you can use. You can go digging through some code for that if you want. The Unreal Engine's is a pain in the ASS to find, but it's pretty simple to understand when you find it.

my lightning and particles problems are fragment shader issues. Every example or tutorial I come across has a ton of different variables and operations within the shader and never act explain what each of them do. I have gone over the shader documentation and can't find thing that helps. As for the stat and damage calculation every example I come across is some long drawn list of about 20 - 40 basic math operations. I was hoping to use something far more simple, but I have no idea how to create a system where all stats grow at a proper rate and continue to maintain a proper damage rate.

For your battle system, don't worry about it. Just get it done. Mathematically balancing things is not easy, and even professional game developers fail to do something like this correctly. And horribly too. Too much of it will usually be pitched into a perfect world where everything assumes to hit. Or there won't be interference or something in other places. Unless you are well acquainted with Statistics and Numerical Analysis... just throw something together.

And for your shader code... I think it should be stated that you can't expect people in the forums to look over your entire code for you. It's somewhere along the lines of just being rude. Please copy and paste the problem to the boards using the code tag.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement