Native Language or Cross-platform

Started by
4 comments, last by Navyman 7 years, 4 months ago

I was wondering how many people write their apps in mobile OS' native language or other cross-platform language.

Currently supporting an app that is written in pure Swift for iOS and Java for Android, which requires a good share more time to keep up-to-date.

If people have cross-platform suggestions I am all ears :)

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

Advertisement

I am writing a poker game for iOS, and I'm using C++11 and OpenGL ES 2 as much as absolutely possible. I try for cross-platform as much as possible.

3 years ago I finished a simple 60fps 3D game for Android & iOS. Game (und custom GUI) with C++ & OpenGL.

User Input, File loading and threading in Java / Objective C.

So very few things in native languages, i even got away without the need to learn how Objective C actually works :)

If it is an app then fully native.

If it is a game then cross platform. However there will always be small parts of the app where you touch on native code.

If people have cross-platform suggestions I am all ears

Several of the major cross-platform systems are linked to in the Forum FAQ. It is not a comprehensive list, but they are twelve systems that are generally well-regarded and have fairly broad public support.

No matter what tools and languages you choose, attempting to maintain a product means the platform is an ever-moving target. There will always be updates and changes to libraries and systems and tools you rely on.

Several of the major cross-platform systems are linked to in the Forum FAQ. It is not a comprehensive list, but they are twelve systems that are generally well-regarded and have fairly broad public support.

My comment was more for personal experience comments vs. a simple list, but thank you for reminding me of the FAQ.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement