Team Explorer Remote and Local Master Branches

Started by
14 comments, last by Josheir 6 years, 9 months ago

Really cool jpetrie, what a great post; thank you!  That about ends my immediate learning of GitHub.  One thing though when using the command line for git I have been instructed to change three lines of something I see in a text editor that opens and than save and close editor.

It's for:   > git rebase -i HEAD~5

I'm not rebasing yet, but I am interested in how the text editor will work, will I just use the arrow keys change it and than save and close?  Or maybe I copy or paste?  My question is how do the commands function? 

After a new window will open up for a single commit message.

Thank you; sincerely,

Josheir

Advertisement

Git just invokes your text editor. It's your text editor. I can't tell you how to use it. If you don't know how to use the text editor you have installed, consider getting a different one.

Git will use whatever the appropriate OS-level mechanism is to try to find your default text editor, if applicable, or use the one you tell it to via your .gitconfig or similar. Then it will invoke it and wait for you to close it and read the (usually temporary) text file you generated with the editor session to continue its work.

6 hours ago, jpetrie said:

Git will use whatever the appropriate OS-level mechanism is to try to find your default text editor, if applicable, or use the one you tell it to via your .gitconfig or similar. Then it will invoke it and wait for you to close it and read the (usually temporary) text file you generated with the editor session to continue its work.

The instructions I was reading say to change the provided text in the text editor so I am thinking maybe reedit what they provided and delete anything else and then close and save?

Is this my proper "generation?"

Thank you,

Josheir

What exactly is it you're trying to accomplish (if you say you're not rebasing anything yet, why are you running the command)? The "proper" content of that text file depends on your goal, and putting the wrong thing in there (or deleting the wrong stuff) can have unpleasant consequences.

Mission accomplished; thank you,

Josheir

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement