HLSL: arrays as inout parameters

Started by
1 comment, last by Adam Miles 6 years, 6 months ago

Hey all. I've been working with compute shaders lately, and was hoping to build out some libraries to reuse code. As a prerequisite for my current project, I needed to sort a big array of data in my compute shader, so I was going to implement quicksort as a library function. My implementation was going to use an inout array to apply the changes to the referenced array.

I spent half the day yesterday debugging in visual studio before I realized that the solution, while it worked INSIDE the function, reverted to the original state after returning from the function.

My hack fix was just to inline the code, but this is not a great solution for the future.  Any ideas? I've considered just returning an array of ints that represents the sorted indices.

Advertisement
4 hours ago, Matt Barr said:

Hey all. I've been working with compute shaders lately, and was hoping to build out some libraries to reuse code. As a prerequisite for my current project, I needed to sort a big array of data in my compute shader, so I was going to implement quicksort as a library function. My implementation was going to use an inout array to apply the changes to the referenced array.

I spent half the day yesterday debugging in visual studio before I realized that the solution, while it worked INSIDE the function, reverted to the original state after returning from the function.

My hack fix was just to inline the code, but this is not a great solution for the future.  Any ideas? I've considered just returning an array of ints that represents the sorted indices.

If you can provide a simplest-possible repro I can test it against the latest compiler and file it with the team responsible for fixing it if it's still broken. If providing the shader is IP sensitive, I can provide you with an email address to send it to directly.

(I work for Microsoft)

Adam Miles - Principal Software Development Engineer - Microsoft Xbox Advanced Technology Group

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement