2D art asset cost?

Started by
9 comments, last by MobileGameGraphics.com 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm working on finishing up my first mobile game that I'll be putting in the App Store. I need some good art assets and it's safe to say my artistic still is none. My game would consist of about 15-20 different sprites with only 8 assets being completely different.

what could I expect to pay for something this simple? Their cartoon style assets

Advertisement

Please can you share some of your works as a sample?

Game Graphics | Pixel Art | Game Backgrounds | Tools | Tutorials

In this case I'm the game designer not the artist. I'm looking for how much it would cost to make this art. I don't have any samples

I changed the title of the thread to avoid any further confusion (changed "pricing" to "costs?"). And moved it to Production/Mgt. since this is the sort of thing producers have to deal with. Football, can you add more information about the kind of sprites you're looking for? There may be pre-packaged sprite sheets available.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Can you provide a example of a game that has a similar art style or maybe a image. The art style is going to have a large impact on the price so we need that info, to give you a better estimate.

If you have ever seen Unity3D's Tower defense game, an art style like that is what I am looking for. I attached a screenshot of what the game looks like.

The type of assets I'm looking for are the following:

road curb, car, light post, stop light, coin, bird (wing down, wing up, splat front, dead), background city skyline ( can be basic back rectangles)

UI components

game over, start game, tap to play, tap to restart, score, high score

I added another file that displays what I vision the game as

I can try and create the assets myself, but it would probably take me 10x longer than even a beginner artist so I'm just wondering if its worth it to hire someone to create these assets for me.

TowerDefense.thumb.jpg.e935517d63b0c39ddbd0109316e42c47.jpg

Scan.jpeg

2 hours ago, Footballhono52 said:

can try and create the assets myself, but it would probably take me 10x longer than even a beginner artist

Yes but you won't have to pay for your own time; except in food and other expenses you need anyway.

When you hire a artist you pay them for the time not the product. Asking a artist to draw you a smiley face is going to cost around $50, not because a smiley face is hard to draw, because the time the artist took to communicate with you also costs them.

You can get this done for $50-$200 depending on how smooth it goes.

So most artist go by an hourly rate not by say a per character basis/ per asset basis or ect.?

1 minute ago, Footballhono52 said:

So most artist go by an hourly rate not by say a per character basis/ per asset basis or ect.?

Both, there are artist who go by the hour and artist who go by project. In the end they all base there payments so that they can pay rent at the end of the month.

The ones who go by asset bases knows how many assets they can make in what time, so they have a good idea on how much they will make each month.

On 10/24/2017 at 4:33 AM, Footballhono52 said:

But most of all artist are really preferred to work a time basis instead per character basis. 

Game Graphics | Pixel Art | Game Backgrounds | Tools | Tutorials

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement