Critique of RTS gui design

Started by
11 comments, last by aganm 6 years, 3 months ago
On 12/14/2017 at 4:15 PM, Michael Aganier said:

I know the unit roster icons are a bit hard to see (same image as the portrait), but I'm not sure by what to replace them with. Maybe a small nato symbol or a small unique icon for each unit would be more recognisable. What do you think?

In the unit roster, you should use a more cartoonish colorful icon of the unit so that it's easy on the eyes and so that the player can tell which units are what from a very quick glance. For example, you could have a big cartoon spear for the spearmen and a big cartoon bow for the archers. Only keep the more realistic portrait in the big window.

The units symbology is good, but the white background is a bit bland. You could add terrain details like this:

Battle_trebia-en.png

Advertisement
On 16/12/2017 at 12:27 AM, Bob Marl said:

In the unit roster, you should use a more cartoonish colorful icon of the unit so that it's easy on the eyes

Good idea. If I'm reluctant on doing that, it's because this would double the amount of art needed. I will try it and see if it's worthed it.

On 16/12/2017 at 12:27 AM, Bob Marl said:

The units symbology is good, but the white background is a bit bland. You could add terrain details like this:

The goal is indeed to make it look like the picture you linked. I just haven't started working on the terrain features yet.

Thank you for the feedback.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement