Combining a 3D Environment With 2D Characters

Started by
0 comments, last by Ovicior 6 years, 2 months ago

Hey,

So for the past month or so I've slowly been working on a melee-combat centered dungeon crawler. Everything has been coming along very well, but environment art is a bit iffy considering our style (We have 3D rendered pixel art with normal maps for lighting in Unity) and doesn't seem to work well in a 2D environment. Due to this, I've been strongly considering making the game 3D and having the environment be made out of 3D tiles created in a voxel editor. This would work much better with our style as a whole, I think, since our art doesn't look especially 2D. We also use a good bit of lighting, which would work better in 3D. The only issue is, I want the game to still play as if it were a 2D game. I want to treat everything as if it's in 2D (which it will be, every asset that's not an environment tile will be a 2D sprite. This includes enemies, attacks, environment objects, etc.) while having the game be technically 3D.

I know Enter the Gungeon takes an approach similar to this, where their '2D' game is really a bunch of pixel art mapped onto 3D objects. This provides a really good sense of depth, and also makes it so I don't have to implement typical hacks to make the game appear more 3D.

How would one approach this in Unity? My game uses 2D colliders for attacking and movement, and I'm not sure how I'd translate that to a 3D environment (at least to an extent where the game still feels 2D). I understand that I could just completely ignore the y-axis, and treat the z-axis as my new "y-axis", but I have no idea beyond that.

My Twitter has a bunch of art if you want to check that out.

The devlog also has a good bit of art.

What will you make?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement