Project Spark [Programmer, Designer, Artist]

Started by
8 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 5 years, 9 months ago

Hello,

and welcome dear reader to my upcomming long term project 'Spark' I'm planning for a while now. My name is Bastian, I'm working as professional in games business for a couple of years as Senior Software Developer and hobby engine architect and am going to start running a project soon that is targeting the following thoughts based on this forum discussion

Problem

Many hobby projects and small studios out there don't have the financial/man-power capacity or experience to make good looking game maps as of the discussion above; but also while I read through this forum for some years now, I have seen more artist requests than any programmer requests. The reason might be systems like Unreal or Unity that themselfs provide a large non-coding game making support by blue-prints, asset store content and whatever is there in addition designers can take to reach there goal. While this is great for designers and small game creation teams, there isn't such a thing for pure coders (like me) that aren't capable of doing level design or modeling. The so called "programmer's graphics" ;)

This is sadly a factor that leads to most projects failure because people tend to support such projects that look beatifull but may lack some gameplay functionality against those projects that have the fully featured gameplay ready but dont get an artist to do the environmental work. And not every game developer has some artists in it's connections.

This and the fact that I personally love multiplayer (online or mmo-games are just multiplayer) RPGs, I decided to go for tis project after doing game engine development from scratch over several years now.

Spark

Is a product of several thoughts combined into one single software package that supports a basic, modular game engine to extend for whatever multiplayer/rpg game one decides to develop, that already has a range of functions implemented to support all the necessary systems like character management, inventory management or UI, along with an SDK to provide utility functions for a range of use-cases like player authentication or content packaging written in C++ and C# (for the utility tools). I currently decide if the package should also contain a special game-server implementation that is supporting the general gameplay interface.

But whait, what makes the project unique from what is already out there?

The plan is to provide more game creation features and less content editing necessity in the first level of the game. Content like world maps, quests and even assets can be generated procedurally using a set of defined rules to tell a generator unit a context taken into account to decide what should be generated. This can be map data/landscape data, fully playable (maybe limitless) maps and even assets to place on those maps including environment, plants, trees and a lot more.

Gameplay content can be created too. A generator can run in the background or on a server to create new quests while the game runs including any dialog and log text for supported languages as same as potentially voice overs. I'm currently doing the research for the translation unit that should be able to generate text in English and Japanese for now (other languages may be extended) as not fully perfect a native speaker would write but acceptable enougth and simple enougth to fit into the plan.

But yeah, you reader may have still some doubts about it. Let me tell you from a talk I had past time with a good friend from a grand publishing and development studio. That friend told me that they are developing an AI for one of there games, that should create content for that game after learning from there best level designers and the community. You see, this isn't a crazy backyard idea but also something even an AAA studio is planning.

I'm also playing arround with the thought to make this also VR compatible for current and upcomming technology so this wont be a one-shot project but something that we can base on and continiously enhance over the months and years.

Motivation

I'm totally self motivated to run the project simply from passion for playing games that have quality and mesmerize me with or without a story, regardless of fantasy, sci-fy or steam punk, RPG or shooter. Games worth playing are played but there is a problem with stagnanting quality over the past 20 years that makes me sad. I now want to tell my own stories, show my own worlds to others and play like I would live in the game while I have my all-day job so don't need to do this for profit (yet).

So this is not only an SDK or game engine project but also a multiplayer RPG project who's core system can be used from other people for free to setup there own ideas, make there own stories and let others explore there own worlds with certain kind of compatibility between those games for player data and mods.

While I develop on my every day practice with a team, I do it on my own in spare time so the decision for this request post was simply to get some people together that may or may not share my passion for good games and are also moivated and reliable enougth to bring this to a happy ending over the next year or two up to a playable demo version to maybe pitch for more support.

Closure

I thank you reader and congrats for reaching the last point of my post. What I want to do might sound as a huge never ending project that will fail but my motivation is there even after years and prototypes of game engine development so if you think you could hold this kind of motivation even a single bit, are reliable, experienced with C++ and/or C# or an artist (any other matching role could be also usefull for Spark) and could work at least a day in the week, then I would be happy if you would leave a message, either in this topic, as PM or Skype/Discord chat. I will meanwhile finish my framework work (ha double spending :D ) and do some technical and game design for this.

Dont let me wait too long and thank you for reading! ;)

Greetings!!

Advertisement

Interesting concept. I wish you the best in your progress. :) 

Programmer and 3D Artist

I'll try ;)

*PUSH*

While a lot of people send me messages to get in touch that lead to use Discord, you can also contact me via the GD.Net Discord Server for recent questions about the project

* PUSH *

Our team has grown to an acceptable state for now containing contributors from the

• 2D Art
  • Design
  • Tools Development

topics but we still need some contributors in the

• 3D Art
  • Game/ Server Programming
  • Engine Programming

topics.

We are still looking for at least one experienced co-programmer that will work on the system with me together

*bump*

Still working hard on the project. There will come a project page (maybe) :)

It would be a good idea, to describe some of the things the team has done. This will get you both attention for the game and should help gather members.

People like to join projects that is advancing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement