Break my Blocks a small game

Started by
6 comments, last by Danman25 5 years, 8 months ago

Hey there 

I am looking to get some criticism on my game it is called break my blocks its a very small game. I would like to get some ideas and feedback on the first thoughts. 

https://gamejolt.com/games/Breakmyblocks/359289

Thank you 

Daniel

Advertisement

Tried it. Very nice.

Couple things I noticed. At the beginning of every game, something drops from the left side, and when you catch it your paddle gets wider. I assume this is some sort of power-up, but it wasn't clear to my why it always appears at the start of the game and in that particular spot. Assuming that's not a bug, maybe there could be something in-game that explains what that is.

The other thing is that the game seems to start at a high difficulty level. Some games are deliberately designed to be frustrating and to cause you to lose quickly, but if you're not going for that specifically, it might be nice to start easier and gradually increase the difficulty (the main difficulty factor here seems to be ball speed).

As far as polish goes, the thing I felt myself wanting most was some sort of 'game over' sequence, rather than just going straight to the menu. But maybe you just haven't gotten to that yet.

Nice job :)

Thanks Zakwayda for the review.

Sure I did some changes due to your criticism have a look now and tell me what you think. 

Also I am working on setting up a lives system ( Not as easy as it sounds) 

Once I done that I will reupload a new build maybe in a week or so. 

Let me know what you think of the small changes so far. 

This build

Changed the main menu. 

I added breakable blocks with damage. 

Non breakable blocks

Slowed down the ball. Least I think i did. Second level it goes fast again. But I will change that accordingly when I have more time. 

The next build has

Lives 

Better particle effects. 

Sure I did some changes due to your criticism have a look now and tell me what you think.

Well, I wouldn't call it criticism - just feedback :)

I think those were good improvements. The main menu explains the power-up nicely, and the initial difficulty is much more manageable now.

I still wonder why the initial power-up always spawns in the same place off to the side. Is there a reason for that? It seems like a randomized position might work better.

Also, is there any particular purpose in giving the player the power-up immediately? It's almost the same as just starting with a wider paddle. It seems like it might be more natural to give you the power-up after you've already been playing a bit. It wouldn't have to be long - even just 15 seconds or so. But I think it'd feel more like a 'reward' then.

Particles and breakable blocks are nice.

I'll leave you with a couple more things I noticed this time around. For me at least, the first level seem pretty difficult to clear due to the number of blocks and the fact that some of them take multiple hits. Being able to clear some levels more easily early on would be satisfying, I think. You can always make later levels harder.

Also, it's possible for the ball to end up bouncing back and forth more or less horizontally between the side walls, or more or less vertically between the obstacle and the top wall. When this happens, you're basically stuck (or at least you have to wait a long time for the ball to make its way back to you). That was the only real technical problem I noticed.

Hey man 

So I took your feedback again. I managed to change it quite a bit since. Please take a look.

I added a level before 

Randomized the powerup 

Improved graphics overall 

Added lives. 

Added sound track

Randomized ball to move in different directions to prevent boring loops. 

Still working that though. 

Should be an improvement either way.

Should be an improvement either way.

Definitely improved! The only thing I'll say this time is that the dark ball was a little hard to see against the dark background. Otherwise though, nice changes.

Thanks a lot. I changed the ball to white and also made the ball have a constant speed now so no more boring slow ball haha. 

Even for me its a little too hard. But I feel it is possible. I will work on it in time to try make it more progressively harder instead of the step learning curve. 

Any new ideas or features will be appreciated and taken into consideration depending on my skills haha .

I also recommend to play in full screen in window mode the mouse leaves the screen and so does the paddle.  

So far I have had a lot of positive feedback. One complaint I had was they needed to be a score board. That I want to work on next. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement