What does each star in a 5 star rating implies?

Started by
4 comments, last by Marylle 5 years, 8 months ago

Hi!

I was wondering if there's a meaning to each star rating when rating a game?

For example, 1 star for the art style, another 1 star for the music/SFX, etc.

Or, is it like I'm asking you, out of 5 stars, how many stars would you rate the game?

Advertisement

You're over thinking it, it's just a score out of five, where one (or zero, if the particular system allows that) means you didn't like the game at all and wouldn't recommend it, and five means you really loved it and would strongly recommend it to others.

- Jason Astle-Adams

55 minutes ago, jbadams said:

You're over thinking it, it's just a score out of five, where one (or zero, if the particular system allows that) means you didn't like the game at all and wouldn't recommend it, and five means you really loved it and would strongly recommend it to others.

There are players who just add 2 -3 stars but doesn't comment on why they added only 2 - 3 stars. 

I was thinking, those players who are busy/lazy to add a review of the games they played, rated stars based on topics like the art style, music, gameplay, etc. And if they didn't rate a star on a particular topic, we the developers would know where we have to really put our effort in.

But if I recall correctly, I think I did see a statistics kind of info regarding the art, gameplay, music, etc. for the games in the google play store.

It could also be just as you mentioned - I was overthinking it :D...

Edit: Haa! There are stats about Feature Ratings like - Gameplay, Controls, Graphics when I check a game out in the google play store.

How are these ratings created? 

Those are also created by people playing the game and deciding if they like it or not. 

It is completely arbitrary to the person reviewing the game.  

Different niche, different rules imho

You can explicitly imply the rules as the owner of some website, but generally the ratings are just the overall number and "general vibe" of your experience while consuming the product or watching a thing.

I can imagine an art forum having the specific rules for ratings like you have mentioned, for every major aspect of design, audio, gameplay etc.

That is usually the job for career critics as for casual gamers it's not necessary to state what exactly was wrong as it can be anything these days.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement