Looking for AI / Gameplay Engineer (2D Game)

Started by
3 comments, last by Joao Vitor Marcenes 5 years, 2 months ago

Hi GameDev!

Magical Game Studio is excited to present an opportunity to the gamedev community that we’re passionate about.  The game we’re working on is a throw-back to one of our favorites, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and we’re looking to create a similar 2D, top-down adventure game with more of a painterly art style and faster-paced gameplay. We are currently developing for Nintendo Switch and PC platforms (we’re Nintendo dev partners with Switch access).

A bit about our own experience: we have signed contracts with three publishers across four previous games, ranging in funding from $400K to $5M.  As a team, we have shipped over 22 game titles in the past, and we’ve shipped both AAA and indie projects alike.  This specific project is in current negotiations with several notable publishers who want to see our First Playable demo.  This job posting refers to work that needs done for that First Playable milestone.

Our studio is comprised of 3 full-time and 13 part-time members.  Several of us are currently employed full time in director or senior-level roles at other game companies, but this is our passion project that we’re looking to get funded so that we can quit our day jobs and establish our own studio.

We’re currently looking for a Gameplay / AI Engineer who is capable of taking our animated NPCs/creatures and implementing their movement and combat mechanics.  We're also looking for someone who can implement gameplay events and event sequences, such as "the boss plays an entrance sequence when the player steps on a floor tile, then the fight begins after the sequence" (random example of our definition of an event sequence).  We have most of our core gameplay elements at the "80% functional" stage and are currently undergoing adjustments and polishing passes.  We are specifically looking for engineers who have a strong desire to not only implement a basic feature, but iterate until that feature is fully polished and worthy of showing to a crowd of gamers and game media outlets.

This position is remote and royalty-based until we secure publisher funding, in which we will pay salary/benefits + royalty.

If you’re interested in hearing more, we have documented a full breakdown with more detail on the game itself (and us as a team) and we’d love to discuss it with you via Discord.  We also have a small game demo we can send you to test the game.  Simply email me at zach@riseofthemakers.com with your portfolio or examples of work and I’ll reply promptly.

You can view our latest screenshots and concept art here: https://imgur.com/a/WRyzC

I've attached a few images from that link for the lazy.

Adjusted.jpgFinal_Tavern_Waitress.jpgFinal_Huntsman_Palette_sun.jpgi0K47Ag - Imgur.pngSwamp WIP.pngefjiFeR - Imgur.jpgm80ZsVC - Imgur.jpg

BogMastersHut.pngBakery.png

Shop.pngSmithy.pngLariaMapWIP2.jpg

Advertisement

Pinging this to the top.  Still looking for one unity gameplay engineer.  We're estimating roughly 1 month of full-time work (or 2-3 months of part-time, after hours) to finish our demo.

We're working remote (and will continue to work remote after funding).  I'm based in Los Angeles.  Most of the team is in the US, and we have a couple in EU and Canada.

Hey, I'm a brazilian hobbyst programmer about to start studies on computer science.

Are you guys still looking for a programmer? I have experience with C#, Java, and the Unity Engine. I've worked on small projects by myself or with small teams developing games, however I haven't published any. I also did work on theoretical systems when programming, making particle simmulations and related projects, mostly for fun and to learn programming and developing.

I'd be happy to help since it been ages I've been looking for a team and Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past always was an inspiration for me on game design.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement