Life on the gameDev prarie : Look Ma, no hands!

Started by
15 comments, last by Choo Wagga Choo Choo 5 years ago

I originally wrote this yesterday but my browser ate my post so I'll have another go:

Having each black box self contained is fine, but expecting these to work together in any way I can see as being problematic.

Even if you standardise a language, there is far more than that which needs to be consistent for things to have a hope of working together in a consistent manner - that's why projects have coding guidelines, style guidelines etc.

There are different religious beliefs / fashion as to how things should be done, and people don't always agree. e.g. We must use ECS everywhere, smart pointers, garbage collection, no STL, etc etc etc, and things would quickly become a mess if everyone had a different style. Likewise codebases of any size tend to have a hierarchy where higher level concepts are expressed in terms of lower level concepts (vector3, vector2 etc), which again dictate a certain way of working.

At this point you have to ask whether you are indoctrinating beginners with what might be a flavour of the month style guide. But I guess this is true in any codebase.

Tree indexing

Related to the idea of the snippets but perhaps valid on its own, it occurred to me that what might be useful is a more in depth way of indexing the snippets / forum posts. At the moment the forum is a very rough tree structure, and the articles. Once you go above that you start having to use text search. What might be useful is to have a far more detailed indexing tree, so it is easy to find articles / snippets on your subject of interest.

e.g.

Programming
	->AI
		->Pathfinding
			->A star
			->Navmeshes
	->Graphics
		->Visibility determination
			->Portals
			->BSP
			->PVS
			->Occlusion culling
		->Lightmaps
			->Radiosity
Art
	->3d
		->Animation
	->2d
Sound
	->Music
Design

The nodes .. forum threads, snippets, articles, blog posts might appear in more than one leaf of the tree. Personally I'd find this approach very useful and could spend hours researching through the tree with the information on this site.

Advertisement

Another point:

Usually even using the same general algorithm there is more than one way of coding a technique. One way may be very simple and easy to understand for explaining to beginners, another may be far more optimized and represent what you would use in a working system, but be incredibly hard for beginners to understand. Which would you use as a snippet? Or both?

We might be about to cross outside my league, so all I can add at the moment is color. As an artist, bashing in some manner, we would be pushing verts/pixels around to better the form working in the confines of the tool. As a coder, I have two major options, write text or wire nodes. Okay. It is what it is right..is there something else? did the visual scripting movement work? I never really got into that. Is that really a direction that is used? I'm reminded of the Tesla story. Is there a better way, or is all this wire really necessary. I think my initial thought was leaning on visual scripting (concepts) (under the hood) constraints but without the visual interface.  

Your words struck a note in the "which snippet" line. "Here, I'll show you the easy to understand way but doesn't work as well" actually has always bothered me. Instill in me a crap way to do it while I'm very pliable, I think hurt me early on. I have to stop here,  loosing my train of thought on that already... tapping out.

A partial is better than nothing, I hope. It's exciting to see a reach for the brass ring when talking about better indexing.

edit: black box == scripting node ? more in check : hog wild; if(hog wild) chart new territory;

9 hours ago, lawnjelly said:

Related to the idea of the snippets but perhaps valid on its own, it occurred to me that what might be useful is a more in depth way of indexing the snippets / forum posts. At the moment the forum is a very rough tree structure, and the articles. Once you go above that you start having to use text search. What might be useful is to have a far more detailed indexing tree, so it is easy to find articles / snippets on your subject of interest.

You're onto something. ;)

The way I describe it is GDNet's content structure has remained the same for 20 years. It is organized vertically - each content type is organized into some set of categories, or maybe one or two layers of categories. By vertical I mean things like blogs, forums, articles, etc. But the categories are relevant across content type, as there is a relevance between things like a forum post and a blog entry discussing similar topics. This organization works if you know you want to view a specific type of content, but that doesn't align well with the modern world.

So without too much detail, the new platform shifts toward a more matrix'd way of viewing content. Still have vertical content types but also organized horizontally across subject matter. You want graphics programming stuff? Go to the graphics programming area, and see all the blogs, forum posts, articles, projects, and news related to graphics programming.

This organization is one of the primary drivers for the complete redesign.

On 4/11/2019 at 2:09 PM, GoliathForge said:

makes me think...IT's hard. how to please all of the people all of the time type stuff.

Meant to reply to this earlier, but I laughed when I saw this comment.

Welcome to the world of trying to manage something like GameDev.net. Every change pisses someone off. :)

19 hours ago, GoliathForge said:

I hate to do this but @khawk sorry dude, but have you seen [ this ] (online flowchart) It's too much...we can't have it...right?

Haven't seen this. Adding a diagram editor will need to be lower priority for a little bit, but I can keep it in mind.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Re: the source code topic

Right now I'm viewing this as more of a snippet library. Not full projects or libraries, but perhaps small snippets of code like you might use in a gist. The question on my mind, is would that be useful? A taggable, categorizable, searchable, labellable snippet library? One issue I keep thinking about is code dependencies. Even short snippets have them. 

Admin for GameDev.net.

good times ya' all. I think we came real close to doing it.

going after the day...excited to see perhaps some late remarks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement