Game creation

Started by
15 comments, last by SNaidamast 4 years, 9 months ago

OK. It just helps us give you better answers if we have an idea of what research you've already done and know what you've tried doing yourself.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement

I've attempted to access funds via various buisness start-up European union funded organizations to get the game made but pretty much all of them don't recognise gaming as a buisness. Strange considering the money games make so I think I'll have to think of the option of looking at these gaming engines and try build it myself. I'm a gamer not a game maker. Anyway any advice I can get will hopefully be helpful to me in this process 

4 minutes ago, MORDOR said:

pretty much all of them don't recognise gaming as a buisness.

They are right. One game is not a business.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

On 6/27/2019 at 5:54 PM, MORDOR said:

Strange considering the money games make

Most games lose money. If you're going into the games industry to get rich, you might want to take a step back and think about it.

Also, I really like @Tom Sloper's post about the idea guy. http://www.sloperama.com/advice/idea.htm He has a bunch of other great articles too.

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

Yea to be fair don't expect to get rich quick if it made a living I'd not be unhappy about it 

Hello Mordor...

The advice by the commenters here is spot on.

However, to repeat what has already been said, to create a game you will need to learn to program.  The three primary development languages in use currently for doing this are as follows in the order of their preeminence in game development...

• C/C++
  • C# (requires the Microsoft .NET Framework)
  • Java (requires a Java JVM)

There are many ways to begin this journey but since you are at the starting point in this path, may I suggest you research the following tools, since they provide the easiest path to gaining game development knowledge at very reasonable cost to you.

The Game Creators has been producing an increasingly powerful game development environment for many years based on a standard BASIC language implementation with all of the graphics necessities as part of the development environment.

There are two ways you can approach the use of The Game Creators tools...

• Begin learning with their AppGameKit Development Environment (soon to become AppGameKit Studio), which provides a full IDE to learn your development with.
  • Use AgkSharp, which is a third party supported library for the AppGameKit Engine with either C# or VB.NET

Using the first option will require to simply learn the AppGameKit's BASIC language for which the development group provides all of the necessary documentation so you can learn to not only program but program games as well.

Using the second option will allow you develop your game with many more powerful capabilities at your disposal (ie: database) but these come at the cost of a greater amount of complexity, which includes learning the Microsoft Visual Studio environment.

The second option, though for more experienced developers, is manageable for those who are willing to put the effort in to learn how to handle such tools.

The Game Creators web site can be found at the following link... https://www.thegamecreators.com/

The following link at the above web site will provide you a download of the AgkSharp Library... http://madbit.bplaced.com/?page_id=136

The following link will provide you access to the freely available Community Edition of Microsoft's Visual Studio development environment... https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/

If you choose to go this route, ensure that you download the Community Edition from the drop-down selection at the link immediately above.

Learning to program and doing so with game development as the final goal is one of the most difficult aspects of development one can choose as an endeavor.  This is due to the large amount of complexities involved and the many areas of development you must become proficient in.

Management of a game development group is just as difficult in its own way and could be approached from the vantage point of your own goals as quite costly.  As one commenter stated, no one will do this for free unless your game concepts have tremendous promise and you could generate interest in the development of a startup game development group.  Yet again, this will be as much work as learning to develop on your own since the game development area of the profession is quite competitive and difficult.

Steve Naidamast (Sr. Software Engineer)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement