`nuclear war` movies

Started by
4 comments, last by JoeJ 2 years, 3 months ago

I was thinking about the fact that while we have tons of movies about WWII, not too many movies come out on screen on the subject of `nuclear war`. We have many movies touching on the subject, but nothing dedicated to the subject from one end to the other. Like there is nothing explicit about the protocol of pre, during and aftermath of a nuclear strike. In the Soviet Union space as a general rule `knowledge` was scarce, ordinary people had a very simple life style and had only basic knowledge in pretty much any field (which can be explained by the fact that Soviet Union countries didn`t had a long standing tradition in craftmanship and sciences). Because people had only a basic level of understanding in most areas a void was felt and that void was filled with war propaganda/knowledge ( I`m not using here the word propaganda as a pun because I see `war theory` as a valid science) . The entire Soviet Union could be described as a space inhabited by `war mindset` people (who make a `war mindset` society, which is of course different from the western `civil engineering` society). USSR kids were raised in this spirit from an early age. Children as young as 3rd grade in elementary school were periodically practicing combat simulations in forests/uninhabited areas. School and public institution hallways were covered with posters containing explanations about/ procedures to be followed in the event of a nuclear strike. This `no doubt pending nuclear war` spirit that was the driving force of the Soviet society was gone once USSR broke to pieces. The war as `driving force` of the society is still pushing Russia today.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Advertisement

Interesting… if we talk about that region the only fantasy creature we were taught of was King Kong

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Calin said:

Interesting… if we talk about that region the only fantasy creature we were taught of was King Kong

I don't think you'd benefit from comparing those two like that - they belong in two different eras.

In terms of movie monsters, there were plenty (too many?!) of hollywood-produced ones in the 1950s. Here's a list of several 50s monster movies, including of course, Godzilla.

That is setting aside the relation to A-bomb impacts - but several western monsters were also produced through a side effect of radiation, so I guess there is that.

(The links below lead to the relevant TV Tropes pages.)

I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall that Dr. Strangelove deals with the idea of nuclear conflict.

Further--if lighter--the movie WarGames deals with the idea of nuclear conflict, leading up to the somewhat-famous conclusion to which the AI-character eventually arrives.

For a more serious take, I believe that there is Threads--a movie that I gather quite starkly and affectingly depicted an outcome to nuclear conflict.

And a bit of searching further suggested that there are a number of other movies dealing with the idea!

Furthermore, moving over to Wikipedia, I see a fairly extensive list of movies. I don't know how many of those deal with the issue from beginning to end, if all fairness.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

I remember ‘Colossus’ (AI controlling nuclear power), ‘Beneath the Planet of the Apes’ (dystopic after war vision), ‘Stalker’ (eventually about strange causes of radio activity).
There are many 70s SciFi movies dealing with dystopia influenced by fear of nuclear war. E.g. ‘Logans Run’ or ‘Zardoz’, but many others as well.
Maybe most relevant: ‘The day after’, but i never saw this myself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement