Need Help with Coding in Castle Game Engine with No Prior Experience

Started by
12 comments, last by Alberth 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Argamerist said:

Okay, now this is getting back to “teach yourself every tiny little detail, and god help you if you want someone to explain clearly where you went wrong on even one move”; I think because I point out how I do in fact read the manual, like I know that “if else” is supposed to check if a condition is true and execute something else if it isn't true in this particular problem's case, I genuinely cannot see what is wrong because I am just following what the examples and manual tell me to do.

Post that code here, from 213 to 251. I don't know if indentation is used by the compiler (I hope not 🙂) but it looks like only line 238 is in the else. The next compound statement (block) is outside the flow control. But then, what do I know? It's been decades since I last used Pascal.
What example are you using?

Advertisement

Argamerist said:
I genuinely cannot see what is wrong because I am just following what the examples and manual tell me to do.

Can't you use a debugger to step through the code line by line, so you see if it executes as assumed?

If you want help, make it easy for us to give you help.

Don't expect that someone is going to find, download, and setup the game engine at their system, download your github code, and debug it for you. I think the goal should be that you learn how to do that instead.

Don't expect that someone is going to spend hours reading all your code either. We're busy with our own problems, nobody has that amount of time to spare.

We can however give answers to questions that don't cost us much time.

Give us small concrete questions. For example: “the compiler gives this and this error at this and this position (show relevant lines and where exactly the compiler complains), and I don't know what that means"

With such questions, we can do an educated guess what may be wrong, giving you new starting points to investigate.

If you are more looking for a longer term sparring partner to co-work with, you may want to try to recruit such a person at the hobby classifieds forum instead.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement