Scientific American "give up"

Started by
339 comments, last by uckevin111 19 years ago
Neex, you have every right to believe in creationism. And the rest of the world has every right to consider your beliefs ludicrous rubbish, which they certainly are. I'm sorry, but there just isn't any way to have balance on this issue : Creationism is contradicted by a mountain of evidence, and there is no evidence in favour. None.
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by nagromo
I do think that science is getting too hostile to religion, just like some religion has been to hostile to science for a long time. Science zealots are as bad as religious zealots. (By zealot I don't just mean someone who is passionate about religion or science; that's a good thing. I mean someone who takes it to a level of insulting other things because they're different.)
The way I see it, it's a matter of need. Evolutionism doesn't disprove God, but Creationism requires God. Take away Creationism, and people have one less need to believe in a god. Eventually, theists probably fear that people won't have any need to believe in a god; atheistic beliefs will look just as acceptable. This is something theists would rather avoid.

Similarly, with non-theisticly focused scientists, add Creationism in, and you've lost one need for science. If God explains the origin and development of life, then there's no need to try to explain it scientifically. So scientists often wish to keep God from being a commonly accepted explanation, since it makes their jobs less meaningful in a way.

Creationism makes God a necessity. Evolution makes science a necessity. Most theists want to keep God a necessity. Most non-theistic scientists want to keep science a necessity. Of course they're gonna often be opposed to each other. The way I see it, the two sides are in the middle grounds of their conflict currently; neither side is about to deal a death-blow to the other. But at the same time, neither side wants to give way to the other very much, because that would push them closer to that potential death-blow.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
I knew there was a reason I kept subscribing.

A cousin of mine spent the night at the house a few months ago. In our bathroom we had Scientific American, National Geographic, Smithsonian, Skeptic, and Popular Science.

He remarked that we had the most outstanding bathroom-reading he'd ever seen.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

Well, we read our Bible and you read yours.
Tolerance is a drug. Sycophancy is a disease.
Exactly. You either subscribe to one ever-evolving pile of assumptions or another.
____________Numbermind StudiosCurrently in hibernation.
One set of which is testable.
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Quote:Original post by King of Men
One set of which is testable.
I was waiting for someone to bite. Have you ever tested Christianity? It's a toughy, because to test it, you have to abandon your indifference or objection to it, and actually embrace it, which is not required of most scientific examinations.

Christianity CAN be tested, but not by inviting God into a lab and measuring the length of his beard.
Tolerance is a drug. Sycophancy is a disease.
Quote:Original post by Neex
The last thing we want is for all the scientists to turn into raving zealots as well. As scientists, I'd hope they're still open to new theories, so that *if* strong evidence for creation appeared, they wouldn't just dismiss it.

agreed, and i dare say the vast majority of scitentis, if presented with enuff logical evidance that Creationism is a viable theory (beyond "its written in an old book") they would look into it (I say vast majority coz you'll always get the odd loony), however in the other camp plenty of Creationists (vast majority? who knows) take the fingers in ears, "lalalala I cant hear you" method when presented with accepted scientific facts about evolution and a vast amount of other proceseses as it doesnt match up with their book.
Jeez. Somebody kill this already.

Faith and science are different things, in this case. The article was a sarcastic piece that took some liberties with the adjectives. Both sides are fine by me, so let's all let each other be.

//edit. F**king rating system. I try to rate somebody down for being a jerk (regardless of position, mind you) and his rating goes up.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Quote:Original post by Neex
I'm so glad my opinions (along with many other perfectly intelligent people) are being described as "ludicrous" and "rubbish"... :S

I'm just wondering, but why should I care?

No, really..

Why should I or anybody else be forced to respect the opinion of the other person? You may be offended that I see your entire religion as rubbush and ludicrous, but why should you care?

I'm pretty sure if you look at just about any religios magazine, you'll see just about the same thing except in reverse. So why should a scientific magazine not reserve its right to take a stab at other people's opinions?

It is such a waste of time to sit around complaining about what the other guy said. Oh look, somebody offended me and my beliefs, lets complain. Its not like you are being forced to agree.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement