General Programmers

Started by
508 comments, last by Slayer-X 20 years, 1 month ago
Matthew, i'd just like to say, your beautiful. I go to the same school, WOW!!! doesn't that kick a large ass? I think so anyways. Maybe i'll see you around.

-King

MXF ENTERTAINMENT

Advertisement
I'm 21, I use C++ and Assembly...I'm writing DirectX stuff now, and hope to one day entertain people like the game programmers before me(although I wish I would have spent less time at the arcade, and more with my nose in a book).
I'm 20, in my second year of college. I'm working towards a BS in CS and possibly a double with BS in Math. I've been programming since my freshman year in highschool. My first programming experience was a long time before that.. maybe around 1985. Back then, magazines printed the executables (in full ascii) for small games in their pages. So, I typed them in by hand... believe me that it took days. One mistake and you couldn't debug.
Other than that, I play with DirectX now and then. Unfortunately, I don't have the time I would like to spend game programming during school semesters.

Six

Alright, I'm 25, and I was a professional game developer for 2 months until the publisher decided to close our development house (as a sidenote. There is WAY to much closing of good development houses in this industry!). Since I'm not willing to relocate for this industry now, I've ended up taking 3-9month software engineering contracts, and then taking about 3-6 months off and working on my games full time inbetween. Its works out pretty well, except I wish I actually ended up working 8 hours a day on my stuff, instead of goofing off more often than not.

I work on 2D games, as 3D really doesn't impress or excite me much. I've just about finished my 2D library, and I'm almost finished technically with my first real game (scroller, shooter), but there is still lots of game design left (which I know is backwards, but....)

Rock

I'm 27, and not feeling quite as old as I used to. I program professionally, but not games yet. I've been programming since I was about 10. I'm also most of the way done with my CS degree... it's taken a lot longer than normal, but working full-time and raising a family will do that you you
Okay, I don't want to get any backs up here, but why do only two of the three GDNet staff who've replied code games as their full time jobs?
There's certainly a great passion in working the 9-5 then coding your own projects in your spare time so I'm not trying to be insulting but is there something I should know about games coding that keeps even the staff here in regular applications coding jobs?
I'm 30 and an independent software developer (games and other shareware plus consulting). I've been programming 15 years, 8 of those professionally.

------------------
DavidRM
Samu Games

MikeD: Well, first of all there's the fact that I just got out of Colorado School of Mines a year and a half ago... with an electrical engineering degree. I have an awful lot to learn... but then again don't we all...

To be honest, I rather like my current job. It's challenging, and the fact that I write the custom controls and user interfaces makes it a lot like the parts that I like about games, namely an elegant interface... (though if you "lose" on my "toys", you are probably in deep trouble... *grin*) Story line is notably lacking though...

Probably the main thing is that I work exactly 40 hours a week, then I am free to do whatever it is that I want to do. So, rather than being an overworked, underpaid peon of some massive game company, I can go home and explore what I want to explore, and whatever I manage to do is directly for my own and my freelance teammates' benefit. I have an awesome group of people to work with, and we don't have marketing or managers on our backs.

-fel

~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
fel: Good point!

I pretty much feel the same way + I couldn't sustain my current way of living with the income of a, what was it? "peon" !!

Besides, I too am lucky enough to have a non-game related day job that is VERY interresting. And, on top of that, it pays well without the annoying interference of upper and middle management bozos. (we're 5 people, all developers )...

/Niels

<b>/NJ</b>
I tried to get a game programming job back at the beginning of the year, but after being told by 5 different companys that they liked my knowledge and enthusiasm, but were looking for someone with professional programming experience, I took my current job and decided to try again later. In addition, it's easier having a job with regular hours while I finish school. Once I'm done, though, I plan to enter the game industry.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement