General Programmers

Started by
508 comments, last by Slayer-X 20 years, 1 month ago
Im 24, and im working towards a BS in computer science. I have been programming since I was about 11, and working on games the entire time. Im amazed at how many started on the c64 just like me. I have programmed games on the c64, DOS, and now the windows platform with DirectX. I'd like to be employed one day, but right now I make games because its one of the only hobbies i've been able to stick with for a long time. Currently im working on a hobby web site for all aspects of game programming and advanced C++. If you'd like to contribute any tutorials you can contact me at mbarela@earthlink.net . Game programming is fun, I almost wonder if it will be as fun after I get paid to do it. So how about guys in the industry, do you still have a great time developing or has it become more of a job?
Mike BarelaMikeB@yaya.com
Advertisement
Im 17 in HS. My C++ teachers swears Im a genius, but I still dont understand half the stuff out there. We use the Borland C++ 1.0 (think thats the version...real old), pretty ugly with the 640 x 480 res Ive made a few simple games, nothing big. My main problem is finding out, I think if I had someone to do art full time while I code, I'd get a lot more done.
MikeD: When I said I just got into the industry I mean JUST! I've accepted a position but I haven't started with the company yet. They were finishing up on a game when they hired me and were going to be going into post-release downtime, so they didn't want to bring me in until they were ready to start back up. My first day won't actually be until Dec 1st.

Business apps are a piece of cake compared to games. I could rip out 2 or 3 business apps in the time it would take to write one good game. I guess that's an advantage. One disadvantage is that you're controlled by your users a lot more than in the gaming community.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Heh, I'm 20, senior in college. Getting out a year early w/ a BS in CS and a specialty in EE (don't ask me why).

I work for a company out on the West Coast (come to #gamedev if you want to know what it is ).

I like my job (application coding), and it's a lot more difficult than some of the game-related code I've had to write, namely because I have to write code that is compatible with a very very large group of devs, even though my specific product only has about 5 devs working on it right now.

But even though my job is fun, nothing beats creating something completely on your own initiative. Like a lot of ppl here, I've been bitten by the 3d graphics bug, and am currently developing a scene-graph API on my own. What will happen, I'm not too sure.

Machaira, careful of what you say!

I work on one of the largest mainframe's in the world. Writing business app's is not always easy. I'm willing to bet that there are many business app's, that are 100 to 5000 times more complex than the most complicated game in the world!

I work on one of those super complex systems!

Imagine a large gaming team making Windows 2000. Not feasable, but if they could, to hell with games, become billionairs!

My heart lies in game programming, though
I hope to make the switch to game progamming soon.

I'm 17 and a junior in high school. I've been programming since 8 (again, originally on a C64 - I still have it WORKING), in a variety of different languages. I teach the AP CS class I'm taking this year because my teacher doesn't know near enough C++ (and readily admits it). I started thinking about programming games about a year ago, but only really started the beginning of this school year.

- Splat

That would make me the youngest, im only 14 and im still trying to figure out DirectX and basic windows programming in C++.
Who am I to blow against the wind?

I'm 22, been programing and designing games since I was in first grade. Started with an Apple IIe, moved to a 386 with Turbo C++, 486 with Borland C++ 3.0, Pentium with VC++ 2.0 (and the first version of DX), and now finally a PII with VC++ 6 and DX7.

Think DX is rough? The Apple IIe had a color palette of 4 colors - purple, green, blue, and this sick magenta/orangish looking color. If you tried to put purple too close to blue, or green next to orange, you'd get big blocks of bleeding color around the pixels.

Also, if your program got too big, it would overflow into gfx memory, and you'd see all these weird dots on the screen... and if you cleared the screen, you lost code.

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios
www.spin-studios.com

Founder, Cuttlefish Industries
The Cuttlefish Engine lets anyone develop great games for iPad, iPhone, Android, WP7, the web, and more!
I am 13, I am in 8 grade, ive been programming for about 6 years, ive been programming in c/c++ for about 4 years. Ive made several small demo games, and completed a 2d smooth scrolling sideview game using DJGPP and all my friends think it looks O.K.
Im just getting into VC++ and DX. It seems pretty cool. Ive only used VC++ for about 4 months though
Gorky: Maybe I should be been a little more specific. Windows business apps for the most part are nothing compared to, say, Unreal. I've worked on dozens of Windows apps and none of them have come close to the complexity of a first-class game. Windows is not a business app, so you can't really compare it. Mainframe apps are a different story. I've done some COBOL coding and couldn't stand it. 400 lines of code to print "Hello World" (ok, maybe a little exaggerated) is not my idea of fun! Even so, I'd stack a state-of-the-art game against any business app.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement