General Programmers

Started by
508 comments, last by Slayer-X 20 years, 1 month ago
Started, like everyone on a c64 at the age of 9. Currently 22, working on general and game technology, as part of what will be my business (2 releases soon!). No degree, I found it frustrating having to pay for people that knew less than me, to teach me things that I knew already.

In the past I worked at an unnamed company, working on an unnamed API, that revolutionized game development on the windows platform.

Advertisement
I'm 17, almost 18....programmed in QB, VB, C++, Java, Assembler and many more. The only thing I'm really good at is C++ and java (java: 99!!!!!!). Completed some little games, nothing special. I rather work in Win32 than in MFC, though MFC is easier in most of the stuff.....and I only use win32 for games. Hmmmmm. I study computer science at college. Hmmmmm.....believe that's about it. Oh....i started programming at the age of 12, due to a 286 in the house.

------------------
Dance with me......

I am 27 years old and among the grandads of the group here. Until I read this thread I thought I was young. Anyway I just finished business school and have written a proposal to build a massively multi-player game. I am just beginning to show the plan to VCs and other investors to get development funding.

As for my love of video games. I have been playing them since I was like 2 years old and have been coding for a mud for the past 9 years. I wrote games during school while everyone was learning the ins and outs of Basic and Pascal. I never kept them and kick myself everytime I read that you need to build a portfolio, blah blah blah.

Anyway I am looking to make this online game happen and appreciate the input I have received from everyone here.

Kressilac

------------------
Derek Licciardi

Derek Licciardi (Kressilac)Elysian Productions Inc.
I'm 19, did the college thing for 2 years, found out I wasn't made for college, dropped that, and now I have a non-programming (read: "regular") job on the side for money. I always learned more and better on my own, which is why I didn't like college very much. I've been programming only for a short 2 years, but I think I know quite a lot nevertheless. I'm currently at the "gee DOS sure sucks, I'm going to move onto DirectX" phase right now, it shouldn't be too long before I start working on an actual game (as everyone, I have an abundance of ideas )

I seem to get distracted by external stuff a little too often, a recent example being the purchase of my first car. If anyone wants to see it, here's an image of what the model looks like (not my actual car, because I have not taken pics of it yet).

Red 1989 Toyota Supra

Of course this is a pic of someone who pampers his car and keep it spotless all the time, but you get the point

/me goes back to programming.. cars are evil..

[This message has been edited by foofightr (edited November 05, 1999).]

I'm 19 and in my second year of college working on a CS degree. I do software testing (exciting stuff ) for a telecommunications company. I started programming ~2 years ago. I'm learning DirectX right now, and I'm working on my first game.
Machaira, you're right about most Bus. Apps.
They are usually small utilities.
But not always!
Some of the people in my building work on PC APPS. There is one team of about 75-100 MFC programmers. They have been working on a Business APP for 2+ years.
There are going to continue working on this one app, for at least two more years.
Average years of experience of a team member: 8 years!
There are no rookies on the that team. They are all veterans.
Trust me, this is no tiny business app.
I can guarantee you, that if this was some type of game, it would probably be the coolest, largest & most complicated game of all time.(story line, artwork, sounds , etc... permiting.)
To bad that would never happen.

Cobol, YUK, been there done that, NEXT please!
I envy, you. (starting game programming full time & all.) Soon, perhaps, I will have my turn.

I'm 26. I took two years of pascal in high school (been a few years) and then had no means of programming until about 3 years ago. Now I'm a stay at home mom and fiddle around trying to teach myself how to program.

Seems like 95% of the replies are:
a) 14-17 and just stepping up to the big leagues (I mean Windows/DirectX and c/c++) which is much younger than when the older generation started using REAL languages).
b) 22-24 and finishing school, or in there second or so year of professional programming.
c) 30+ and primarily most of their programming experience was nongame, but many are switching now or just continuing what has been a longtime hobby.

I'm in the second group: 24 years old and I've been programming gambling games for just over 2 years now. I am currently leading my first project (3 programmers and one artist), and I'm using Windows/DirectX for the first time. I have been using primarily C/C++ for about 4 years, but my first project was a Keno game in x86 assembly. I finished three years of school, but I went there to learn, not graduate, so that's what I did (took as many classes that I wanted to take as possible, and I stalled all the general requirements that I didn't like, as long as possible

I'm 25, and just started getting into c++ programming about a year ago. I'm a late bloomer you could say. I wish i was like some of you and started out a lot earlier than what I did. I do have high hopes to get into the game programming scene, but thats still along ways to come.
I guess I feel kinda obligated to post something here...

I'm 19, I code with C++, ASP, Java, VB, and DirectX. I wrote my first program at the age of 4 on my Atari 800XL (still have it). I do a lot of contracting work here and there. I hope I never burn out on this stuff.

-Erik L. Elmore

-Erik L. Elmore

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement