General Programmers

Started by
508 comments, last by Slayer-X 20 years, 1 month ago
I''m 25, and I first started programming on a TRS-80 with a massive 64k of ram.
-Madgap
Advertisement
I am 18 and studying computer science at the university of copenhagen. I love programming in C++ and besides this I mostly use php and java. On game dev I usualy help with ideas and theories rather than concrete programming as the first is my strong side. I started off by programming quick basic on this very computer (yes - its *very* old) and later moved to basic programming on the families Macintosh CL. I am thinking of getting a new computer... ;P

[Edit]
Just read a post where some guy said that he'd been programming his TI-83. Now THAT bring memories Thinking of it now its actualy quite scary - I started seriously programming a window system for the dammn thing - with one menu and one window, cursor and all *brr*
[/Edit]

"I feel like... I feel like... Like taking over the world!"
- Day of the Tentacle

[edited by - emileej on October 29, 2003 6:02:24 PM]
Emil Johansen- SMMOG AI designerhttp://smmog.com
I'm 18, and I'm currently taking classes at a community college and working full time for an online furniture store as the webmaster. My current project is linked below. I first started programming in 1998 with VisualBasic 5. Now I'm using c++ to write a 3D game engine. Good times.

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net

[edited by - neurokaotix on October 29, 2003 6:02:21 PM]
wow...this thread is sooo prolonged...

i''m 14, programming in C++ for about..hm...3 years i think..making an RPG with friends...
I eat heart attacks
19, at Uni in Queensland Australia, MATH and C++.

Don''t program games but find game programmers are usually good programmers.

Have researched and implemented Harvester scheduling systems.

Wizza Wuzza?
A relatively ancient 24 here. Using my second GD.net login (first one is 2 years old) which I created because I''d forgotten my original login. Started programming on a Color Computer 2 when I was 6. Started "designing" after I got my NES when I was 9. I have this knack for seeing video games in my dreams; back in ''95, I did a "design" for a new Final Fantasy (Having gotten FF3 the year before). I was very shocked when FF7 came out and matched my design''s setting and tone completely. I am currently playing around with my PS2 Linux kit, and trying to scrounge something useful out of 15 years of amateur game designs.
Wow, at 19 I even feel old in here. I don''t remember if I posted in here before since there are too many pages to search through . Well, I started somewhere around 10 or 11 playing with PASCAL and BASIC, but I really was only able to do basic things, not too awful much. I then started with C around 14 and VB and C++ around 15 or 16. I''ve been at it for awhile and have gained a fairly good grasp, but I must agree... most teachers I''m running across even in the college level, seem to have a very narrow scope of understanding of the languages. My University doesn''t even teach Win32 programming anymore, it''s straight C++ in Unix, nothing useful or fancy at all. Which our Unix server/compiler generates segmentation faults for no apparent reason. And randomly crashes when creating objects with new.

I know instructors probably work hard at what they do, but it just seems that they teach us the hello world program and then shove us out the door with a degree and want us to succeed in the real world. In my opinion it''s like trying to get a math degree which requires some extremely high level math courses, and yet here we are trying to get a computer science degree and we barely break through the Algebra II of CS. Where''s the calculus of CS, learning to generate practical applications for platforms today, or learning what the inside of a computer looks like. Other than in the Systems Support Office, where I work at, computers never get opened at the University.

Wow, looks like I got a little carried away.

Anyway... yea. I''m 19, and I''m a programmer. Programming is my calling but games are my passion.

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.
I''m 17. My highschool has programming classes on Qbasic and Vbasic - I wasted my time on Qbasic - I shant waste my time on Vbasic, thanks.

I''ve been devoting a lot of my time to learning C++ as of late, and sometimes I find myself daydreaming of programming.

I am an odd bird. Indeed.

_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.
Im 17 now and been programing since i was 13.
done: &#106avascripts-java-php-asp-vb-c-c++<br><br>Still doing C++ ( been doing that for ~2 years ), and working with ogl mostly.<br> <br><br><SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - CoMaNdore on October 31, 2003 3:47:56 AM]</SPAN>
- Me
I''m 14, and I learned C++/DirectX entirely from home using resources from the internet.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement