General Programmers

Started by
508 comments, last by Slayer-X 20 years, 1 month ago
This is one incredible thread! Well, I shall post now.

I''m 16, and I''ve been programming with C++ for about 5 months. Just recently began my venture into DirectX.

We have a VB programming class, but I didn''t get interested about programming until after school started, so I couldn''t switch. We don''t have a C++ class at our school, but I asked my advanced web design (I regret taking that crap, I usually visit this site or read up on some programming) teacher why we don''t, and she said we used to, but there wasn''t 13(!) people who wanted to take it so they got rid of it. I hope to start a petition or something of 15 or so people who want to take it, and resurrect the class.

I hope to make a PONG clone or the equivalent. Eventually want to get into the game industry, but I keep hearing that eventually all these programming jobs will move overseas. I''ll get pissed if this comes true.

-Peter
There are two inevitabilities in life: death and failure.-PoLiSh
Advertisement
I started doing websites at the age of 9, I started doing lots in adobe around 6th grade for my websites some time after that, I got into &#106avascript really alot and around 7th-8th grade I took a class at a college near by on "Java" and I passed that class with A letter grade, after that I started to get into coding into C++.

Once I got into highschool, I became the master of our schools webteam when I was a freshman, I tried to take some CS classes sometime around then and my comp science teacher wouldn't let me take any classes classes from them until I had higher math classes. Sometime around then I taught myself flash because I was elected as a person to go to this like one day thing where we were taught flash, mostly because I was the webmaster of our website, and it was funded by the school district; I did that and learned flash realtively fast.

Sense I couldnt get into any CS classes I also went and taught myself how to use C/C++ using the internet; sense they wouldn't let me take classes, about a year after that when I had more math classes, I went to take a class but I ended up skipping all the intro classes and went straight into an honors level CS class.

I didn't pay much attention at all during that class because everything we learned I had already taught myself; I tended to spend more time helping others then acutally coding but I finished all my projects so it wasn't a big deal. When I had nothing to do and no one to help I constantly read the MSDN SDK on directx, and other things and when I went home I continued studying that.

So basically the teacher started to dislike me because I wouldn't pay attention, yet I could answer all the questioned asked to me, and I passed the tests without really trying. She always saw me helping others because they asked for my help sometimes, so I never took classes from her again.

I made my frist game engine using DirectDraw then later made one using OpenGL, and I currently have one going ive done in Direct3D.

I went and continued taking college classes, taught myself how to do my own 3d models as well since I never could find anyone to do them. Sometime around there I started to learn asm, and got good at that too, now I make games... and other things, in my spare time I hope to get to continue my studies 0.o I've currently been doing C++ for approximently 5 years.

[edited by - DevLiquidKnight on January 18, 2004 1:30:53 AM]
I''m 21 and I go to college. I''ve been programming since starting with QBasic sometime aroud the age of 10 when my friend showed it to me. Then I went through Turbo Pascal, x86 assembly language, C, and finally, C++, which I work almost exclusively with now.
I''m 14 I have been sort of programing since I was 10.
Sttarted with basic went to c++ I gave up on c++ went to VB then wentback to c++ lol! I''m doing good now though
For the love of all that is holy let the damn thread die. Let me ask you: is there ANY poster here who would bother reading 20+ pages of people''s AGES? It''s not a census, folks. It''s a message board.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke
Actually... I read quite a few...

I''m interested in where I rank among the peoples here.
n00b I am..
I read all the pages needless to say it didn''t take as long as one would think.
It''s an interesting read, like the other poster said for a ranking.

-Peter
There are two inevitabilities in life: death and failure.-PoLiSh
Guess I''ll post here too, I''m 16 and have been programming for about 6 months or so. I''m taking the only Computer Science at my school and I''ve been teaching it since about the second or third week of school (my second or third week of programming) and spend a large portion of my free time teaching myself C++ and Direct X.
I am 24 turning 25. My first program was done in Pascal since 1993. Until now, I haven''t done much since everytime I picked up a book and was going to learn from it, eventually I put it down and went to play games instead. I am a certified Java programmer. A while back, I was trying to use Java3D to make games but failed because it wasn''t interesting at all due to its programming structure. Due to some stupid reason I am still studying in second year college and second year university. I am rushing to finish my college to get game programmer job. After studying C/C++ for a while last year, I love pointers and struct very much! So I just bought the book "OpenGL Game Programming" recommended by nehe.gamedev.net. In this summer term, I am going to take a game programming course which teaches DirectX game programming. Originally I was planning to buy "DirectX Game Programming" but then I heard that OpenGL is easier to pick up so I got it from amazon.com. Hopefully I can finish the book quick and then I will have to study DirectX very quickly. And after all, I have to learn game socket. My final goal is to become a game programmer, and make Linux games as hobby, and the linux games requirement would be:

Minimum requirement:
AMD AthlonXP 1800+(cuz I love AMD)
128MB RAM(256MB SWAP)
64MB OpenGL video card
OpenGL 1.2+
Kernel 2.4.20+
OSS compatible sound
qt 3.3.1+
KDE 3.1.3+
56k modem+ connection for multiplayer

I love Penguin...

This topic is closed to new replies.