General Programmers

Started by
508 comments, last by Slayer-X 20 years, 1 month ago
Well I think everyone else registered replied, so why not

I''m 21 working as a Lead Coder for Pineapple Interactive Ltd here in the UK.

I started coding when I was 6 on the CPC6128, my mum knew some simple BASIC from her work and taught me that and bought me a book about it.. I kind of left her standing from that point on and when I was 12/13 got on the net (good ol'' 28k). The internet saved me saving my pocketmoney for shareware discs with the latest compilers / assemblers (and the manuals for them I learnt most of my x86 asm coding from shareware assembler manuals lol.

I was doing a lot of PSX scene work, as well as PC work mainly just working on my skills. When I was 16 still at school I got offered a job while at a demo party, quit school a few months after and haven''t looked back

To all of you kids still at school look away NOW, working on code when I got home instead of homework was always the risk I took with it all. That was the only way I could see to fit in playing football (soccer) with my mates as well as code

Cheers, hope I can get time to reply to help some of you soon!

Simon 'Barog' BarrattPineapple Interactivew: http://www.pineapple-interactive.com
Advertisement
Wow, this thread is so long I''m amazed that you''ve read this far...

I''m 24 and I''ve published 3 games (strategy and puzzle games through Hasbro, Inc.)... Currently I''m in my last year of undergraduate study in Comp. Sci. and plan on getting a PhD eventually. I''ve been writing games since I was 7 (first game was in BASIC for an Atari computer that connected to a TV through an RF switch, and didn''t have any non-volatile memory). I still write games in my spare time, which I don''t have much of since I''m a TA for a Data Structures and Algorithms class.

To all of the computer-deprived high school students: keep working at it. I can remember writing code in pencil and paper during class, and writing games for my TI-85 that would get passed around school like the flu. All that practice definitely helps later on.
Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: "Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program contains an ad-hoc, informally-specified bug-ridden slow implementation of half of Common Lisp."
anyone remember the commodore plus-4?
- Scott
quote:Original post by sdwil
anyone remember the commodore plus-4?

It was my first computer
Ahh, those where the days...
I replaced it with a 286 laptop because that one had a
20MB hdd and 1MB RAM - a killer machine back then
I''m 17, a senior in High School. I learned BASIC on the calculator in 6th grade, graduated to assembly on a more advanced calculator in 7th grade. From there, I did C++ off and on in 8th/9th grade a bit. I''m back into it again, this time with enough experience to make games, so I''m learning DirectX and graphics stuff. Also, I''ve worked as an immortal on several MUDS (online text-based RPGS) and have begun coding mine as a small hobby.

Sorry, no computer classes. There aren''t any at my school. And the computers here suck. Or at least they did, until this year. But the comp admin is bad enough that these brand-new computers run as slow as you can imagine.

-Gauvir_Mucca
Ok lets dance.
I''m 21 years old, I''m studiying computing in france, and I make a game engine. I have begun in a p166 with 16 mo, and hope since this time I will work in the game industry .

!o)
!o)
I''m 45. Bought a Trash 80 shortly after they came out and got rid of it a year later. My first serious love and when I first got into programming was on a Vic 20. I started rewriting the programs that came with it. I enjoyed it. A couple of years later I bought a COCO 3 and started writing programs for it.
It was a Sci-Fi Role Playing Game that really got me into writing a program. What took me hours to do on paper for the game a computer program could spit out in a few short mins. There is quite a rush when you have finally finished your program.

Professionally I have built and designed PC''s and worked on small networks. Currently I run 3 web sites.

My programing has I am afraid been dropped for now. Too bad considering my real love is the programing and not the building of a computer. Hopefully in the near future I will go back to writing game programs.

I have courses in Visual C, C++, Java, Visual Basic, Perl, MS Office Access and Excel.

To think when I graduated from HS no one owned a Personal PC. Okay PC''s weren''t really out then. Calculators were not even allowed in School then, and none could be had cheaply.

Times have changed.

Rick
yure right man, times have changed.

anyways, im 4 years old now and have programmed my first C++ game- its a game of checkers...most people say - that im a genious....but you know....im just too smart..

hahahha....just joking...really wanted to say that...haha

anyways , im 22 and just graduated with a comp science degree...my degree lacked more core c++ programming, in place for commercial and web applications...so i have been takiung the time ..the last 1 year to really work on my C++ skills.

have made 2 MS-DOS console games...using arrays and stuff..mainly Tic-Tac-Toe and Mastermind...

love programming....hopefully i can make it a career.
Well, I''m 22 and recently graduated with a BSc. in CS up in Manitoba (yep, lucky me!)

My university courses were a joke, we learned some Pascal, some Java, and a tiny bit of C++. Most of the other students did as little as possible to get by, and hated any kind of assignment that required much thought or innovation (heaven forbid - they might have to think!)

I started programming when I got to university, and haven''t looked back since. I had a bit of a slow start, but got decent at it fairly quickly.

To date, I''ve programmed a Tetris game (with MFC(!!!), then ported to Win32 w/ GDI, then ported to DirectDraw, and now porting to D3D, a Pac-Man game, which started in Win32 w/ GDI, now being ported to DirectDraw. I''ve also written several utilities for an RPG, such as a text editor and display program, stat modification algorithms, character bios, enemies creator, etc.

Soon I may release some tutorials along with the source for these games, I''m just trying to create some half-decent artwork for them (I''m a programmer, not an artist). Right now, my games look miserable because of the crappy sprites.
Life's Short. Make Games.
15, took a comp science class at the local community college to start (im gonna take more) and then went from there with my friend, who started programming since he was 8 (pascal)
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement